South Carolina not overlooking Alabama

Senior guard Ieasia Walker said she knows not to overlook Alabama. A win tonight would give USC 20 on the season.

Women’s basketball looks to win 20th game, stay in hunt for regular-season SEC title

Senior point guard Ieasia Walker doesn’t dispute that tonight’s road game at Alabama would be an easy one to overlook.

With No. 14 Texas A&M coming to Colonial Life Arena on Sunday, the South Carolina women’s basketball team knows the game could have ramifications in the race for the Southeastern Conference title race.

But, as Walker knows all too well, the No. 15 Gamecocks (19-3, 7-2 SEC) have to beat Alabama on the road first.

“I think it is easy to overlook, but because I’ve been here and I’m a senior now, I don’t overlook any team,” Walker said. “Alabama is a good team — their record doesn’t reflect how good they are ... I am excited for the A&M game, but I’m just taking it one game at a time, so I’m just thinking about Alabama right now.”

A win at Alabama would be USC’s 20th of the season, making it the second straight season the Gamecocks have reached that total. More importantly to women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley, it would keep the Gamecocks in the hunt for the SEC regular-season championship with Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Texas A&M.

Staley doesn’t try to downplay the conference title race with her team.

“We talk about things opening up to give us an opportunity to win an SEC Championship,” Staley said. “We want that. If we can continue to get these road wins and get our defense and our rebounding back to where it was 10 games ago, it’s anybody’s game.”

USC is No. 3 in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just one opponent to score more than 60 points this season. Walker said Alabama can be a “streaky” team and could be hard to beat if it gets hot.

Since the Crimson Tide likes to play in transition, Staley said the defense might be tested, so she’s spent the week in practice focusing on rebounding and remaining disciplined on defense. In the last few games, she’s noticed more defensive breakdowns than usual.

“Rebounding is a decision,” Staley said. “You’re either going to rebound or you’re not going to rebound. Is there some skill involved in it? Yes, but at the same time, it’s a hustle statistic.”

Not looking ahead to the Aggies is also a decision for the Gamecocks, though it’s one Staley has noticed USC has little trouble with this season. For Staley, being one step ahead is part of her job description.

“This team has really been a team that stays in the moment,” Staley said. “I think Alabama on the road is the next thing, so we’ve got to make sure that we’re not overlooking anybody. They haven’t even mentioned the Texas A&M game. I think as a coaching staff, we’re ahead of the game a little bit because it’s on our docket.”