USC Fashion Week shows city, student collections

<p>On Tuesday, Fashion Board at <span class="caps">USC</span> will host the Student Designer Showcase at 701 Whaley. Students will have the opportunity to show their collections.</p>
On Tuesday, Fashion Board at USC will host the Student Designer Showcase at 701 Whaley. Students will have the opportunity to show their collections.

Board gives runway time to new, local designers in annual calendar of stylish events

You may not be able to go to New York City for Fashion Week, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a dose of runway shows, free food and celebrity guests.

Fashion Board at USC, a student organization comprising of about 150 members, is gearing up for its fifth annual fashion week, which begins Monday.

The group has been planning the week’s events since last semester. Some highlights of the week include a doggy fashion show featuring models from the Columbia Humane Society, a student designer showcase and a finale show in which students will model clothing from Fashion Week sponsors like Bohemian, Brittons, LaRoque and Van Jean.

Fashion journalist and stylist Amy Flurry will speak for free on campus Wednesday, recounting her experiences at InStyle, Lucky, Italian Vogue and Refinery29.

To learn more about Fashion Board or USC Fashion Week, find the group online at facebook.com/fashionboardusc.

— Compiled by Kristyn Winch

Calendar of Events

Monday, April 8Kickoff Event
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Greene Street

The first event of Fashion Week will set up a live DJ and free Jimmy John’s subs in front of the Russell House. There will also be raffles and an opportunity to buy Fashion Week merchandise and tickets.

Monday, April 8Doggy Fashion Show
5 p.m. on Davis Field

Man’s best friend will take a walk down the runway at the week’s pup fashion show. All dog models are available for adoption, and Pupcakes Pet Boutique in Five Points will host an on-site bake sale with fresh-baked treats.

Admission is free, but all donations will benefit the Columbia Humane Society. Fashion Week merchandise and tickets will also be available for purchase.

Tuesday, April 9Student Designer Showcase
7 p.m. at 701 Whaley

This evening on Whaley Street sets up a small-scale runway for student designers from USC. The designers will show pieces from their collections and a panel of judges picks a winner for the night.

Vendor tables will be set up in the lounge with refreshments. Tickets are $6 and can be purchased at bit.ly/fashionweektickets.

Wednesday, April 10Symposium with Amy Flurry
7 p.m. at the Columbia Museum of Art (1515 Main St.)

Writer and stylist Amy Flurry will speak about moving from the South to New York City to work as a freelance writer, editor and stylist. Flurry has worked at InStyle, Lucky, Italian Vogue, Refinery 29 and many other publications. Three years ago, she co-founded Paper-Cut-Project, an art direction company that works with clients like Kate Spade and Cartier. Admission is free and the event is open to the public.

Thursday, April 11Finale Show
7 p.m. at 701 Whaley

This fashion show marries Columbia’s boutique designers and the victor of the student showcase on one runway.

City fashion staples and Fashion Week sponsors like Bohemian, Brittons of Columbia, LaRoque, Van Jean, M Boutique and Just the Thing will show their collections, as will the winner of the Student Designer Showcase.

Admission is $7, and tickets are available at bit.ly/fashionweektickets.

Friday, April 12Special Event
10 a.m. on Greene Street

That’s the only info we have — it’s going to be special!