Letter to the Editor: Birth of president's granddaughter doesn't warrant newspaper article

Story about Pastides’ family not relevant to USC community

As a daily reader of The Daily Gamecock, I was more than a little surprised to have to read a cover story this past Friday that informs us of personal family details of the president of our University of South Carolina. Upon reading the article, I was even more stunned to learn that the president had contributed to the story by means of an email interview.

Not only do I fail to see the relevance of this story, but it also poses a somewhat confusing situation. After all, while Pastides holds the position of university president not on the basis of an election, but upon appointment following a national search (that evidently turned inward), his position is not that of a king to whom such reporting would ordinarily be applied.

Conversely, should The Gamecock be interested in the private lives of any and all members of our university, I encourage students, faculty and staff to share their online posted pictures with the paper! Setting the example, here is a picture of my cat Alphonse that I shared on Instagram during last week’s snow days. I trust The Gamecock will write a story of this important event in my cat’s life. Either that, or we’ll have to go buy somebody a crown.