Ailing Gamecocks aim for Auburn

Sophomore Max Schrock may miss rest of season with back injury

After seeing its losing streak grow to a season-worst four games, South Carolina’s baseball team is in dire need of a series win.

The Gamecocks (28-9, 8-7 SEC) were looking to take firm control of the SEC East when they hosted Florida this past weekend, and they were in good shape after a 4-1 win Friday.

However, South Carolina’s luck took an immediate turn after the team dropped the next two games to the Gators and then two non-conference games, to Charleston Southern and The Citadel.

“Midnight Friday night after Florida, you know you’re sitting there [comfortably],” head coach Chad Holbrook said. “And then, heck, you make a case after seven innings on Saturday. Things are [good] and then, boom.”

To add to the Gamecocks’ misfortune, the team will likely be without a number of veteran starters this weekend.

Sophomore Max Schrock returned to the lineup Wednesday after sitting out the Florida series with a virus, but he was pulled before he could finish the game. Schrock’s status for the rest of the season is unknown after Holbrook hinted that his back has limited his movement.

Junior Joey Pankake reportedly took batting practice before Wednesday’s game against The Citadel and might be ready to play Friday night.

Junior Connor Bright is doubtful for the series against Auburn after hyper-extending his elbow.
Though the injuries sustained by the Gamecocks could serve as a crutch to explain the team’s slump, Holbrook said he’s not willing to make that excuse.

“You lose your edge, something [doesn’t] go your way, and you start feeling sorry for yourself,” he said. “You’ve gotta fight, scratch and claw — regardless of who we’ve got in there — to turn it around.”

South Carolina, which has lost six of its last eight games, will get an opportunity to get back on track this weekend against Auburn, which currently sits in the cellar of the SEC West.

The Tigers (21-17, 6-9 SEC) and the Gamecocks are in similar positions at this point in their season. Auburn began its season by taking its first conference series against Texas A&M and then against Tennessee.

The team then dropped its next three series to SEC competition, falling in a pair of nonconference games in the process.

Junior Jordan Montgomery earned a win the last time he faced Auburn, which was in 2012 when he was a freshman. He gave up two runs over 5 1/3 innings, leading the Gamecocks to a series sweep over Auburn.

Holbrook recognizes the severity of South Carolina’s recent struggles, but he also made a point to note that the team has a long season.

“We have a lot of games and a lot of opportunity ahead of us,” Holbrook said. “I’m not going to sit here and say this is a rut.”

While the Gamecocks travel to Auburn this weekend, Florida will host Georgia in a three-game weekend series. South Carolina is still one game behind the Gators in the SEC East standings, although that could change if the Gamecocks win and get some help from Georgia.

And in a stretch that has seen South Carolina drop games just as fast as players, the Gamecocks could use some help.