In Brief: April 17, 2014

South Carolina gas prices on the rise

South Carolina gas prices have risen once again, but they are slightly cheaper than they were at Easter last year, according to The Associated Press.

According to AAA Carolinas, gas prices have increased 36 cents per gallon since Christmas, but prices are around 1 cent less than they were last Easter.

The average price for a gallon of gas in South Carolina is now around $3.43.
Gas prices increase each spring when there is a limit on supply, as refineries switch their product to a less-polluting summer blend.

The cheapest gas in South Carolina is in Spartanburg, where it runs at around $3.38 per gallon. The highest average in the state comes from Myrtle Beach, where it’s $3.44 per gallon.

Frozen farms to impact peach sales

Peach growers are saying a late March freeze caused major damage to peach farms around Aiken, which may make the fruit scarce until July, The Associated Press reported.

Peach farms in Aiken, Edgefield and Saluda counties were hit with the freeze when the peach trees were in or just past full bloom, according to The Aiken Standard.

J.W. “Sonny” Yonce, a peach grower in Johnston, said 40 percent of the crop on his 4,000 acres are early peaches that he expects to bounce back by July.

But the freeze will cost Yonce’s business millions.

According to South Carolina Assistant Commissioner of Agriculture Martin Eubanks, peaches in the northern part of the state will not ripen until June, but peaches may be available in other parts of the state before then.

Haley’s approval rating rises in Withrop Poll

Gov. Nikki Haley has gained the approval of nearly half of South Carolinians according to a poll released Wednesday, The State reported.

Just under half of 877 South Carolinians surveyed approve of Haley’s job performance. Out of the registered voters polled, 49.3 said they approve of Haley’s tenure.

Around 35 percent of respondents said they disapprove of her performance, the lowest Haley’s disapproval rating has been in the general-population poll. Out of the registered voters surveyed, Haley’s job disapproval rating was 39.6 percent.

This week’s approval rating is Haley’s highest in all of the Winthrop polls of the general population conducted since she took office in 2011.

The margin of error for the most recent poll was 3.3 percentage points for the general population and 4.1 for registered voters.