On the Chase: Mizzell searches for next Mic Man

After two years of leading the wave, wearing Gamecock-speckled trousers and cheering with the masses at Williams-Brice Stadium, Chase Mizzell stepped off the stage as Mic Man for the last time this year.

Now, he’s on the hunt for his replacement.

Mizzell has developed an application for students interested in taking over the role of USC’s No. 1 fan in an effort to find the most spirited and passionate Gamecock fan for the job.

“Being Mic Man is an incredible opportunity to be able to set an expectation of what it means to be a great fan, to be the most spirited, to be the most relentless and to lead one of the most impressive stadiums of fans in the country,” Mizzell said.

Mizzell said seven applications have come in so far, and he’s hoping for a few more before the Friday 5 p.m. deadline. The link to the application can be found on the Mic Man Twitter, @USCMicMan.

In addition to filling out the application, applicants will also be required to attend a tryout session, to be held in late April, where they will be judged on their energy, morale and dedication to keeping the game day energy alive.

“Tryouts will focus on someone who has dedication and passion for Carolina and Gamecock athletics,” Mizzell said. “It’s also about finding someone who will represent the school and the athletic department well and can bring a unique style and potential to leave a legacy in the position.”

But that’s not the end of the road.

After the ultimate fan is selected, he (or she) will be required to practice with the cheerleaders and marching band during August practices and attend several events, including First Night Carolina, Tiger Burn and every home football game, 30 minutes prior to kickoff.

And that’s just the time commitment.

“The most difficult practical challenge is simply physical,” Mizzell said. “Spending four hours yelling, stomping, jumping, dancing and cheering is difficult, but remaining at your best is essential to fulfilling the role of Mic Man.”

Then comes the knowledge of the game. The decisions Mic Man makes usually come in the heat of a play, so knowing what down it is and which side has possession is a must.

“You have to be clued in and aware of the tempo of the game, possession, flow, good plays and bad to ensure that you are leading the crowd in the right chants and cheers at the right times,” Mizzell said. “You’re also constantly listening to the band for their cue on what cheers to lead and thinking of what chants should come next. They need to be relevant.”

But beyond a burning love for Gamecock football and a voice the crowd will want to cheer along with, Mizzell hopes the next Mic Man will have the power to carry on the legacy he has helped create, and at the same time, make the persona their own.

Questions on the application go deeper than the run-of-the-mill interview queries, something Mizzell said he did to challenge applicants to take the position seriously. Those questions ask applicants what they would want their legacy as Mic Man to be and why they are passionate about Gamecock athletics.

Until now, there hasn’t been a standard for selecting the next Mic Man; Mizzell succeeded Brent McCraw after McCraw spent five years revolutionizing Mic Man’s persona, turning the character from some guy in jeans and a T-shirt to the loudest and most decked-out voice at football games.

After all, Mizzell ended up with the cane and bowtie almost by chance.

After the cheerleading coaches saw him firing up the crowd at First Night Carolina in 2012, Mizzell was the top pick to replace McCraw. But that sort of situation didn’t seem likely to reoccur; plus, Mizzell hopes future Mic Men will be recruited young, so they’ll have a few years to build the character’s personality and really make it their own.

When it comes to who’s up next, Mizzell said there’s one thing in particular he wants to see.

“More of everything.”