Vista hosts artists from near, far

<p>Elementary art school teacher Lily Todd displays her work at the 23rd-annual Vista Art Crawl on Thursday. Todd was joined by local artists as well as artists who traveled across the Atlantic to display their work in Columbia.</p>
Elementary art school teacher Lily Todd displays her work at the 23rd-annual Vista Art Crawl on Thursday. Todd was joined by local artists as well as artists who traveled across the Atlantic to display their work in Columbia.

Rejuvenated district becomes epicenter of both international, Columbia-based galleries

Thursday marked an annual celebration of a district Columbia residents now associate with thriving city life, even the cultural heart of Columbia. The capital city’s art scene was out and about in the Vista for the 23rd-annual Vista Art Crawl.

But it wasn’t always that way for the Vista. About 30 years ago, the area was shabby, and rent was low. Affordable prices provided the opportunity for many artists and art gallery owners to sweep in and begin establishing what is now a highlight of the city, where festivals like this weekend’s Artista Vista can show off a group of artists that are now flourishing.

Brian Pyle, a local artist and graduate of the Savannah College of Art and Design, held a display tent right outside The Art Bar on Thursday. He considers himself very familiar with Columbia’s art scene.

“I’ve been doing outdoor festivals for eight years” Pyle said. “This one here is my third year. It’s good exposure because everyone here is for the arts. I get to meet USC students and different groups of people. I’ve had my work displayed here in the Vista and all over the eastern seaboard.”

While celebrating the local art scene, Thursday’s Art Crawl also displayed how broadly rooted Columbia’s art is becoming, with European artists now playing a more prominent role.

Wim Roefs started If Art Gallery in 2006. On Thursday, Roefs’ gallery hosted artists Klaus Hartmann and Reiner Mahrlein, who were there to unveil their new public art sculpture at the Vista Greenway. Hartmann and Mahrlein are from Kauserslautern, Germany, one of Columbia’s sister cities.

“They’re staying at my place. I make them breakfast every morning,” Roefs said. “You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. I’m from the Netherlands, but I got to know them when an exchange here started, and they got involved in the art scene. I represent them here, plus three other artists from Kauserslautern.”

Roefs said it’s important to bring international artists to Columbia so that the city can open up and connect with the world around it.

“You want to expand the horizons of what is available in terms of art.” Roefs said. “Literally by getting people from farther away but also the kind of art they’re making. It brings something to the art scene that would not be here in the kind of aesthetics that they deal with in their art and with their quality.”

Those participating in the Artista Vista festival hope to open some eyes and turn some heads as they gain exposure around town. The support from the public has helped build what has become a thriving Vista area.

“[We’re here] to actually get a different crowd, the people who might not come to a gallery.” Roefs said.“It’s a bigger event. The people that come out because the weather is good. You do get people out that usually don’t come here. Of all these people who come here, most won’t buy something, but a few of them will.”

Roefs has high expectations that Hartmann and Mahrlein’s new sculpture will help get Columbia’s public art scene out to the masses.

“It’s easily one of the best sculptures in Columbia. It raises the bar on what can be done,” he said. “A cultural exchange like that brings an excitement to Columbia. I think this place has really blossomed.”