Clowney selected No. 1 overall

South Carolina Gamecocks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (7) pressures Missouri Tigers quarterback Maty Mauk (7) in the second quarter at Memorial Stadium's Faurot Field in Columbia, Missouri, on Saturday, October 26, 2013. (Gerry Melendez/The State/MCT)

After months of speculation and years of preparation, Jadeveon Clowney finally has an NFL team after being selected No. 1 overall in the 2014 draft by the Houston Texans.

Leading up to the draft, there were countless theories as to what the Texans would do with their top pick. Some experts projected a trade, others thought Houston would take a quarterback, but in the end, Clowney earned the No. 1 pick that he was promised since he came to South Carolina as a freshman.

The defensive end is the second top overall pick in Gamecock football history, with George Rogers going No. 1 in the 1981 draft to the New Orleans Saints.

Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins was selected at No. 4 by the Buffalo Bills after they traded up with the Cleveland Browns in order to get the Tiger wide out.

Clowney will join former Gamecock D.J. Swearinger on the Houston defense after the Texans selected Swearinger in the second round of the 2013 draft.