Column: Protect your body from heat this summer

If you’ve spent time outside this summer, you know that on the average day it feels hotter than the inside of an oven, or perhaps the surface of the sun.

According to the National Weather Service, the forecast for August 3 will climb to a broiling 110 degrees F, due to temperatures in the upper-90s combined with humidity.

The weather service issued a heat advisory from midday until early evening because the temperatures will climb so high that it’s actually dangerous to spend excessive amounts of time outside without taking the necessary precautions.

For some of us, like myself, this just means staying inside. But for those of you who need to be outside, or actually want to be outside, The State newspaper offered some tips: stay hydrated, wear loose clothing and stick to shade as much as you can.

It’s also advisable to wear sunscreen or a wide-brimmed hat, to protect your face and skin from sunburn. Don’t be afraid to slather on plenty of that SPF 15, or more, and remember to reapply every two hours, especially if you’re swimming or sweating — and odds are, you will be sweating.
The most dangerous side-effect of spending too much time outside in high temperatures is heat stroke, which is just basically your body overheating. If it goes untreated, it could damage your brain, heart, liver and muscles.

To properly avoid heat stroke, you have to know what to look for.

Ironically, a sign that you may be suffering from heat stroke is that you’re sweating less.

While the smell of sweat isn’t many people’s favorite it does help you out, because as the sweat evaporates off your skin, it cools you off.

Other signs of heat stroke are pale skin that feels hot and dry, fatigue, dizziness and nausea. More symptoms include headache, rapid pulse and shallow breathing.

You should also avoid alcohol and coffee because they can both speed up dehydration.

There are certain medications that can also increase your chances of getting heatstroke, like allergy medications as well as cold medications.

Perhaps the most important thing is to just avoid exerting yourself, and if you can, try to keep your outdoor activity to the early morning or late afternoon.

If you see someone who might be suffering from heat stroke, get them into an air-conditioned area as soon as possible and cool them down. If air conditioning isn’t available, give them cold water and put a cold compress on their forehead.

Keep yourselves safe and healthy during this painfully hot summer, and remember — it might snow again this winter, and we’ll be complaining about that, too.