Pillars for Carolina gives freshmen memories

The Pillars Olympics pitted new Gamecocks against one another for a little healthy competition on Friday as a part of Pillars for Carolina’s closing activities.

The Olympics event epitomized the spirit of the five-day extended orientation program, which provided 79 incoming students with a comprehensive, high-energy introduction to the university this year.

According to the participants, something magical happens during those five days.
“It’s amazing what can happen in five days. We all came as strangers and we’re all really tight now. I can’t even wait to start school here, and I know that I have all these people to hang out with and really have fun with,” said Ross Lordo, an incoming freshman from Fort Mill, S.C.

The program provides incoming freshmen with a more complete survey of campus, simulations of first-year life, and introductions to student organizations and opportunities to get involved. New students are also introduced to Gamecock culture and traditions, and some are even able to experience their first taste of classic South Carolina barbecue.

“We’re preparing these students for university life to help prepare for that transition from high school to college and give them that sense of belonging when they come to USC,” said program director Summer Bass.

The fast-paced program also turns introspective at times, encouraging students to mentally prepare for the responsibilities of college life.

“They’ve done things that have made them think more than I think they’ve ever been pushed before mentally.” Julia Frazier, one of the program’s Orientation Mentors, said. “So they’ve been going nonstop for the past week and we couldn’t be more proud. They’re amazing.”

The most valuable component of Pillars, however, is the opportunity to forge friendships before school starts. The heightened sense of engagement with the university and the security in knowing other first-year students are the elements that make the additional three days worthwhile, program leaders said.

“It definitely comes down to the community building. They spend five days, four nights with peer-to-peer mentorships throughout the week,” Bass said. “What this program is about is to make those long-lasting friendships when they come back in the fall.”

The prevalence of high-fives, elaborate handshakes and sweaty hugs at the Pillars Olympics revealed the extent to which the unique program established a sense of community among freshmen.

“I’ve met 78 of what’s going to be my closest friends this coming year,” Lordo said. “We’re all moving in, everybody’s anxious, wondering, ‘Who am I going to hang out with on the first night?’ And for all of us here, we know ‘I’m going to call my Pillars friends’, and automatically we already have a special bond.”

In addition to its role in helping freshmen forge “special bonds,” Pillars is distinctive due to its structure as a student-run initiative. The Student Government program is the culmination of a year-long planning process led by dedicated students. The result is an orientation experience that is richer than most universities can boast.

“I think it’s one of the best programs,” Lordo said. “After going through the whole college search process, you’re exposed to all these different things and all these different schools, and the Pillars program here has just been absolutely wonderful, and really made me so excited and proud to be coming here this fall.”