Armed robbery on Greene Street

An armed robbery took place on the 1800 block of Greene Street around 10 p.m. on Sept. 18. 

Three individuals were walking when they were approached from behind by three black males between ages 18 to 25. The suspects pulled out two black handguns and demanded money and other items, and then fled toward Five Points.

The victims were uninjured. The Columbia and USC Police Departments responded to the incident, but were unable to locate the suspects after patrolling the area.

One suspect was wearing camp-style pants with a black shirt. The second suspect was wearing a black shirt over a white shirt and camo pants. The final suspect was wearing a black shirt and black shorts.

USC did not send out a Carolina Alert following the incident. According to Captain Eric Grabski of the USC Police Department, alerts are only sent out when there is an immediate threat to campus and immediate action needs to be taken. There was not an alert sent out because the respondents decided that the suspects fled away from campus.

Grabski recommends that students stay safe on campus by walking in large groups, using shuttles and vehicles instead of walking after dark and having a plan in place in case of an emergency.

The Columbia Police Department is investigating the case. Anyone with information is encouraged to cal CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC.