Craft and Draft: Columbia's local beer scene expands

While it might have been a casual industry in Columbia a few years ago, the craft beer business is becoming more popular by the day. 

Conquest, River Rat, Palmetto, Thomas Creek, Swamp Cabbage, Westbrook  — the list goes on. These are only some of the breweries local to South Carolina and North Carolina, and the population is still increasing.

For those that enjoy a good craft beer, it can be frustrating to find a place besides a liquor store where they can sample and taste different beers without actually visiting said breweries (not that a brewery tour isn’t an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon).

Enter Craft and Draft, Columbia’s newest craft beer spot, where one can either browse the space and check out the different beers for sale or sit at the bar and try one of the 12 beers on tap that day. Customers can try a sample before actually ordering a full glass, so that they are not disappointed with the selection they make.

Kellan Monroe and Andrew Johnson, both USC graduates, took their love for beer and turned it into something profitable. Though they talked about starting a brewery, the idea eventually morphed into what is now Craft and Draft. The two sat at World of Beer one night and noticed that the space had also begun as a spot to refill growlers and try some local beers. As Johnson said, "We thought, 'hey, we can do that,'" and from there Craft and Draft was born. Here they are able to provide consumers with an abundance of craft beer that is both local and non-local in an environment where it is encouraged to try something new and experience all the industry has to offer.

There is the innovative “create your own six-pack,” in which you can walk around the store and pick up whichever beer catches your eye and add it to your box. Even if the beer is part of a six-pack originally, Monroe and Johnson don’t force you to buy the entire case if you aren’t sure whether you like it or not yet. 

For Johnson, his favorite part about Craft and Draft is the laid-back atmosphere he feels they bring to the drinking scene. "I feel like I'm just as comfortable as the customer," he said, noting that a customer's comfort is something they try to enforce so as to separate them from other craft beer places.

Wine tastings and other events are also no stranger to Craft and Draft, despite opening on July 10. Just this past Friday, they held a release party for Seminar Brewing, a brewery that just opened in Florence, South Carolina, and by the looks of the tweets and Instagram posts regarding the event, Craft and Draft is quickly becoming a hot spot for anyone that appreciates and enjoys craft beer. This Wednesday, they will host an event called, "California vs. Carolina," where they will feature six California beers on tap and six Carolina beers and gauge how much the customers like each one.

"What separates us is our concept," Johnson says. Craft and Draft is a great place for customers to come in and grab a six pack if they just feel like hanging out at home for the night and watching television, or if they want to come in for a quieter atmosphere. "We’re not a crowded bar flooded with $2 domestics and $3 shots," Johnson says, "You’re gonna sit down and enjoy beer, probably with like minded people."

Walking into the space on a Tuesday afternoon showed that although it might be around 4 p.m., people are willing to visit the location and wind down after a day at work. The location is great for food and shopping lovers as well, since the space is located near clothing store Just the Thing and Burger Tavern 77.

The best part about Craft and Draft might just be the stack of board games that sits on top of a shelf near the bar. Though there were too many people at the bar to test out the theory of if one could feasibly play Monopoly and continue to drink craft beer, there might be a high probability that on a slow day, board games and craft beers are what go hand-in-hand.

As for right now, Craft and Draft's goal is to showcase the local beer that South Carolina has and to educate more people on the industry. In the future, they aim to possibly expand to more locations, but have not seriously looked into that option yet; they want to establish themselves first.

In the ever-growing popularity of the craft beer industry, Craft and Draft is making a name for themselves and separating themselves from the crowd. Head over and check out their space located at 2706 Devine Street. For more updates, you can also follow them on Twitter @CraftandDraftSC and on Instagram @craftanddraftbeer.