In Brief: Sept. 16

Funeral held for SC deputy, draws large crowd

The number of attendees at the funeral for SC Deputy Joseph Matuskovic on Sept. 15 was so high that the funeral started one hour later than the expected start time of 10 a.m, the Associated Press reported.

Up to 1,000 family members, friends and law enforcement officials attended the funeral. According to city officials, the procession of law enforcement officers and others to the cemetery was miles-long.

Gov. Nikki Haley was among the hundreds of attendees. Law enforcement officers from as far away as New York also traveled to Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Charleston to attend the funeral.

Matuskovic , 43, died in the line of duty on Sept. 8 when a man sprayed bullets from an assault rifle from the door of his apartment. The man was found dead when officers were able to enter the apartment.

USC students vote more than the average South Carolinian

In the last gubernatorial elections, only half of the eligible voters in South Carolina submitted a ballot, WIS reported.

Six USC students have never voted in a gubernatorial election, and only a few of them had the right to vote in 2012. Yet these students are more politically active than more than half of the voting population in the entire state.

These students believe the apathy is clear, which is why they're encouraging their friends to voice their opinions.

"It's your future," Rebecca Wackym said. "If you're not concerned about your future, that's kind of a bad thing."

These students attribute their strong views on voting to the opportunity to make a change.

Columbia police consider using body cameras

The Columbia and Charleston Police Departments are looking into using body cameras for their deputies, WIS reported.

The Benedict Police Department is already using body cameras, and they recently decided to purchase higher-resolution cameras. According to Sgt. Tony Kennedy, the body cameras have aided in officer training as well as accountability with the public.

Body cameras enable officers to capture what is happening in real time. Some civil liberties groups, however, are concerned about regulation of the new devices. There are currently no rules for how police use body cameras.