In Brief: September 1, 2014

The fifth annual Labor Day parade rolled through Chapin Monday, signaling for many the end of summer and the beginning of political season, WIS reported.

The parade, known for its propensity to draw political aspirants and incumbents, comes only two months before general elections, providing candidates a great opportunity to spend one-on-one time with voters without all of the speeches, public relations and television ads that normally accompany political races.

Attendees at the parade included U.S. Sen. Tim Scott, U.S. Senate candidate Thomas Ravenel and South Carolina gubernatorial candidates Vincent Sheheen and Tom Ervin, according to WIS and the AP.

The parade was part of a festival that included a street fair, a 5k walk-run, a classic car show and a talent show among other amusements, according to the Chapin city website. The theme, “Hooked on Chapin,” encouraged festival enthusiasts and vendors alike to sport fishing related accoutrements, while appearances by Chapin’s elected officials and award-winning marching band provided local residents an opportunity to celebrate their town.

— Davis Klabo, Assistant News Editor

The owner of a Spartanburg strip club is facing jail time after dancers solicited prostitution from undercover police officers Friday night.

Timothy Treadwell, 51, the owner of Teazers Entertainment, a Wellford, South Carolina gentleman’s club, was arrested by the Wellford Police Department on charges of Assault and Battery and Prostitution, WSPA reports.

According to Wellford Police Chief Jeff Bowers, two undercover officers who were working in a joint operation between Wellford and Spartanburg County police were each solicited for prostitution by two females from the club. Each of those women has a warrant out for her arrest and police also arrested Treadwell based on dancer statements that he was taking portions of the illegally earned money.

According to its webpage, Teazers is a club catering to young business executives from central South Carolina. The website also makes reference to “notorious Champagne Rooms” and promises that “Are (sic) performers are ready to give you their full attention.”

— Davis Klabo, Assistant News Editor

The Cleveland Browns signed ex-USC quarterback Connor Shaw to their practice squad Sunday night, The State reported.

Shaw, who threw for over 2000 yards as a Gamecock last season, had been cut Saturday from the Browns 53-man normal roster on Saturday before being picked up for the 10-man practice squad on Sunday.

Practice squad players are eligible to participate in team practices but not to play in games or count towards a team’s official roster. They are paid weekly and can be cut at any point, though they are also free to sign with another team at any time.

Shaw was in competition with three other quarterbacks for a coveted spot on the 53-man roster. All three of the other quarterbacks, Brian Hoyer, Rex Grossman and ex-Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, made the final roster, though Grossman was later cut to make room for additional roster changes.

A player who remains on a 2014 practice squad will make $102,000, while one remaining on the active roster for a full season will be paid $405,000, according to SB Nation.

— Davis Klabo, Assistant News Editor