Music Farm hosts USC alumni Washed Out as first concert

Washed Out Band Photo. Ernest Greene pictured.

Today's the big day, music fans.  After a year of anticipation and a week of postponed opening concerts, Music Farm Columbia will finally be opening tonight.  For real this time.

University of South Carolina alumni and renowned electronic musician Washed Out  will play the inaugural show at 8:30 tonight, with doors opening at 8.

Trae Judy, a partner in Music Farm Productions, is excited about the concert for more than just the big name artist.  All proceeds from Tuesday night's show will go to Tumor Schmumor, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising money for the family of Aaron Graves, who was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor earlier this year.

“This is a nonprofit event,” Judy said. “We're supporting them in terms of helping them put on the show.  We're hosting to help with marketing, but in terms of putting on the show itself, it's a nonprofit.”

Music Farm will continue the week by hosting another charity event before doing the official uncorking this Sunday.  

“We have another charity event on Friday which is Hunter Hayes," Judy said. "The actual grand opening will be on Sunday with a Jazz workshop."

The venue finally has the opportunity to assemble these inventive shows as the building itself, located at 1022 Senate Street next to Tin Roof, comes to fruition.  

“A year and a half ago we started with architectural plans because of some construction delays in the past three or four weeks," Judy said. "Something that takes a year to build might get pushed a week or two off.”

Judy was quick to assure that Music Farm is not revolving around Southeastern musicians, but any and many big name artists.

“We're focused on the national tour units,” Judy said.  “We do some of the regional acts, local bands that will support large acts that fill the room.  90 percent of our shows are national touring acts.”

Washed Out is sure to bring a crowd heavily laden with Gamecock students.  His last album, 2013's Paracosm, is loaded with tunes that can instill a crowd full of youths with blissful tranquility.

The USC alumnus-artist and his blend of synth sounds will be the representative of a long-awaited effort for the guys at Music Farm and neighboring Tin Roof.   A good concert tonight would be indicative of all the hard work going into the local scene of artists and businesses in our state's capital city.

As all the bits and pieces settle into place in the hours before the show, one thing is clear: Music Farm is here to change music in Columbia.

“I am most excited that we're going to be having a venue in Columbia that is going to be a breath of fresh air,” Judy said.  “Anybody who comes, whether you're a national act or a local band, you know you're going to get a professional show. At the end of the day, we do shows from 200 people to 2000. We're ready for show day.”