In Our Opinion: Restrictions on student travelers reasonable, logical

I see London, I see France, I see Honduras, the murder capital of the world.

It is no secret that we live in turbulent times in terms of foreign relations, but it’s not often that the goings on in Guatemala and Iraq directly affect us as students here in Columbia. However, to the Study Abroad Office, anything happening overseas holds the up-most importance.

The Study Abroad Office is responsible for hundreds of USC students who study abroad every year, and part of their responsibility to keep the student safe is by requiring students to have to petition to go to more dangerous and restricted areas to study abroad.

While this process is yet another hurdle students must overcome to go to their dream destination, it is a necessary restriction on the part of the Study Abroad office in terms of keeping students safe.

Global politics are often volatile and entering the wrong place at the wrong time can be fatal for unsuspecting travelers. The Study Abroad Program would be foolish to just send young college students all over the world without making sure they were aware of the political and social climate they will be landing in.

However, these limitations do not shut down far-reaching student ambition. If a student would really like to travel to a more volatile part of the world for their experience abroad because of their field of study they can petition their request to a review board. This board is made up of faculty from a multitude of departments who consider the student’s request.

These limitations are put in place for the most important aspect of studying abroad: student safety. These regulations are put in place for the good of the travelers and of the Study Abroad Program as a whole. This program gives amazing opportunities and experiences to USC students, and operating within logical restrictions is more than a reasonable request in exchange for a life changing chance to see the world.