HairWalk catwalks for cancer

While cancer awareness fundraisers have traditionally been 5K run-walks, there are more ways to spread the message. 

Strutting your stuff on the catwalk can make the same impact.

Alisa Barnes, a prominent hair stylist and salon boutique owner in Columbia, started the event in 2013. After being in the cosmetology business for 20 years, many of her clients going through chemotherapy and radiation for cancer treatment experienced hair loss, which struck a blow to their confidence. This inspired HairWalk, an event that celebrates elegance with a good cause — their mission is to help save lives while also boosting self-esteem.

“I thought it would be great if the fashion community, hair community and makeup artists could come together to fight cancer with style,” Barnes said. “Then, HairWalk was born.”

When supporting the fight against cancer, knowing what you’re up against is enough to make a difference. For those stuck in a fashion rut, Barnes believes changing up your look is enough to spread awareness.

“Every day that fits your style or your trend, you could look at yourself and say, ‘I can do something greater and create a bigger impact by joining this movement, Fighting Cancer with Style,’” Barnes said.

Last year, HairWalk kicked off their event with 100 models, including 50 cancer survivors and around 500 attendees. With such a big turnout, $2,500 was donated to both Palmetto Health Foundation and South Carolina Oncology Associates.

As a fundraiser, most of the money raised comes from ticket sales, but the organization is accepting donations in time, as well as money. HairWalk gets backing from a strong volunteer base. Models, designers, photographers and all general staff behind the scenes are positions held by supporters lending a helping hand.

After the success of 2013’s HairWalk, the movement has expanded and will be hosted in Charlotte this year, as well as Columbia.

This year, special guest Brandi Maxiell of VH1’s Basketball Wives LA will be featured at the event and will host a meet and greet Friday morning.

While breast cancer predominately affects women, it impacts a number of men as well. HairWalk begins Friday, Oct. 3, with the Pink Tie Charity Sponsor and VIP Reception. The Pink Tie auction from HairWalk 2013 was meant to spread awareness and raise money for men that are diagnosed with breast cancer as well as supporters that have been affected in their roles as fathers, husbands or sons. This year, the reception is intended to bring together men who support those affected by breast cancer. The organization is encouraging guests to wear pink ties to show that "Real Men Wear Pink."

Although HairWalk’s end goal is to spread cancer awareness, the main event, HeadHunterz, is still a competition for the cosmetology students participating.

Last year, each school presented their wigs on the runway with a particular element’s theme, and this year’s theme is "Animal Instinct".

This Friday, cosmetology students from the Paul Mitchell Beauty School on Gervais and Virginia College-Columbia will compete for the HeadHunterz 2014 Visionary Award.

HairWalk may only be two years old, but Barnes is optimistic for this year’s turn out at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center this Friday night. She said this movement is something survivors need everywhere because spreading encouragement and awareness is the first step to winning the battle against cancer.

“Wherever there's a Macy’s, a Cato's, a Nordstrom ... there should be a HairWalk,” Barnes said.