South Carolina opens 2nd half of season against Furman

South Carolina wide receiver Nick Jones (3) walks off the field after a Kentucky interception to clinch the win in the fourth quarter at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014. Kentucky won, 45-38. (Gerry Melendez/The State/MCT)

Gamecocks taking nothing for granted against FCS opponent

Saturday’s tilt with Furman was a mere afterthought a couple of months ago, if not a couple of weeks ago.

Leading up to the opener against Texas A&M, fans and media professionals alike checked off wins and losses on their paper schedules in an attempt to peek into the cloudy crystal ball of the upcoming college football season.

While the first six games  required minimal debate, the "W" likely went next to the Paladins  without hesitation for most.

Following a crushing defeat at Kentucky that left South Carolina with three losses for the first time in four years, the Gamecocks have had two weeks to toss and turn over FCS opponent Furman.

Head coach Steve Spurrier said that serious improvements needed to come from within before they could even consider underestimating any opponent.

“We need to really concern ourselves with how we play, just make sure that we get in the habit of playing sound, fundamental football,” Spurrier said. “We're always looking to see if we can play the best we can.”

Nothing seems certain in Gamecock Country these days as buzz continues over inconsistent production on both sides of the ball as well as the sidelines.

Despite entering Saturday’s contest in the midst of a four-game losing streak, the Paladins currently boast the top passing defense in the FCS, allowing just 132 yards per game through the air, compared to over 170 on the ground.

Given these numbers, South Carolina’s play-calling will be in the spotlight early and often Saturday, even though the Gamecocks figure to be a higher-caliber opponent than those that Furman has faced thus far.

After compiling 183 yards in three and a half quarters against Kentucky two weeks ago, junior tailback Mike Davis did not receive a single carry on the final two drives of the game — both ending in interceptions.

This came just one week after Spurrier elected not to go for two in an eventual one-point loss to Missouri.

The way this season has gone, it's easy to forget that the Gamecocks had three losses when they went to the SEC Championship in 2010. However, this team has a remarkably different feel to it.

With a road test against Auburn looming next week, South Carolina has the chance to shake up the college football landscape once more.

The lowest of stepping stones needs to be accomplished Saturday, something Spurrier feels his team is prepared to do.

One has to wonder what the current mental makeup is of a team that knows it will fall short of preseason expectations with half of its schedule still remaining.

But, according to redshirt senior offensive guard A.J. Cann, tin terms of confidence, the Gamecocks are fine.

“We go out with the same mentality,” he said. “We’re looking to win, play the best we can and go out and execute. We don’t look at who we’re playing.”

Although Saturday’s contest may be looked upon as a no-win situation, its mental implications go far beyond any tactical discoveries the Gamecocks may find.

But if South Carolina comes out and clicks on all cylinders after what Spurrier identified as two good weeks of practice, the Missouri and Kentucky losses may become just a little easier to forget.

The first step to restoring a seemingly lost identity, Cann said, is harnessing the passion he and his teammates have during this tough stretch.

“Once we get fired up, it’s football,” Cann said. “Everybody loves to play this game, so once you step out on this field, you’re going to be prepared and ready to go.”