Gamecocks dominate in the pool

The South Carolina swimming and diving team gave an exciting end to their regular season this past weekend, with both teams dominating Queens and Wingate and the women taking down Vanderbilt.  

Both South Carolina's men and womens' teams started the weekend off strong, leading all opponents at the end of Friday’s events. 

The Gamecocks returned Saturday and continued to power through the competition. The men defeated Queens 200-147 and Wingate 200-140. Meanwhile, the women’s team also dominated, beating Queens 200-146, Wingate 200-146 and Vanderbilt 185-149. 

There were several standouts within the impressive team win — freshman Akram Mahmoud broke South Carolina’s 27-year-old record in the 1,650 freestyle, with his time of 14:58.72, while fellow freshman Tierney Shimanksy also won the 1,650 freestyle, with her career-best time of 17:00.25. The Gamecocks picked up multiple wins throughout the day, including both the men and women’s 200 medley relay, the women’s 100 backstroke, 100 butterfly and 200 freestyle, the men’s 200 breaststroke, and 200 freestyle and the 400 freestyle for both the men and women. 

Over the two days of competition, South Carolina won 21 of the 34 events. 

The Gamecocks return to the pool to train for the SEC Championships on Feb. 17 to 21 in Auburn, Alabama.