In Brief: Jan. 12, 2015

Gov. Nikki Haley looks ahead at 2015

Gov. Nikki Haley plans to focus on increasing the number of jobs, reforming education, improving infrastructure and reforming ethics in her upcoming term.

“You’re going to continue to see jobs, but with more of an emphasis on workforce training — making sure it’s our South Carolinians that get those jobs," she said in an interview with The State newspaper.

Haley said she plans to reform education throughout the state for all children. Over the next 20 years, the Department of Transportation needs an additional $1.5 billion annually in order to repair roads and bridges into good conditions, details of which Gov. Haley plans to announce the details over the next few weeks.

In the wake of the removal of eight sheriffs and the indictment of the speaker of the House, Gov. Haley said she believes that ethics must be taken seriously and that elected officials must be aware of the law.  

— Madeleine Collins, Assistant News Editor

South Carolina native to star in final season of 'Glee'

Noah Guthrie, a SC native, will be featured in the sixth and final season of the Fox network show “Glee,” despite not having any previous acting experience, The State reported.

Guthrie received attention nationwide when he posted a video of him performing an acoustic version of “Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO on YouTube. He was asked to audition for the television series, and he received a phone call while he was on tour in support of his music career.

The former Greer High School student will play a new McKinley High School student name Roderick who joins the glee club. So far, 10 of the 13 episodes for the season have already been finished, and Guthrie is a part of all but two of them.

According to Guthrie, filming for the final three episodes of the show will be completed in February, after which he will focus on his music career.

— Natalie Pita, News Editor

World leaders join masses in Paris solidarity march

Over 40 world leaders from Europe to Africa joined over one million people in a march from Place de la République to the center of Paris on Sunday as a display of solidarity and defiance following the terrorist attacks that killed 17 people in France, The New York Times reported. The Palestinian president and the Israeli prime minister walked arm in arm during the march.

The Interior Ministry estimated that between 1.2 million and 1.6 million people participated in the march. Both the crowd and the victims of the attacks included Jews and Muslims, some of whom said they wanted to show that the terrorists had not acted in their names.  

“Indignation. Resistance. Solidarity. I am Charlie,” read an invitation to the event that circulated on social media.

Families of the victims walked together, sobbing in some cases. Some held up the names of their deceased loved ones and wore white Charlie Hebdo headbands in honor of the journalists killed Wednesday at the office of a satirical newspaper.

— Natalie Pita, News Editor



Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Gamecock.