College of Charleston receives bomb threat

College of Charleston students received an alert about a bomb threat and were evacuated from campus buildings Tuesday.

Authorities got a call earlier Tuesday morning about a possible threat to the Beatty Center and Craig Residence Hall, claiming that two bombs had been placed in school buildings. A notification was sent out to students stating that a bomb had been located. 

However, that alert was an error and no bomb had been found, according to College of Charleston’s spokesperson Mike Robertson. Shortly after the alert, CofC’s Twitter said a bomb had not been found on campus.

A total of six buildings were closed, one of which was a residence hall. In addition, parts of George and Phillip Streets, which were near the scene, were closed. 

Emergency officials used a phone alert system to tell people living within a six-block radius of the area to seek shelter.

Classes in the affected buildings were canceled through 5 p.m., according to a letter from the university President Glenn F. McConnell.

Students, faculty and staff were allowed to re-enter the buildings once security deemed the area to be safe later in the evening. Police remained on the College of Charleston’s campus in order to search the closed buildings.