Page enjoying breakout season

Travis Bell/SIDELINE CAROLINA
Travis Bell/SIDELINE CAROLINA

The Player

Through the early stages of its 2015 season, the South Carolina softball team has depended on stellar pitching and solid hitting to succeed. The former was somewhat expected. The Gamecocks returned sophomore pitcher Nickie Blue and senior pitcher Julie Sarratt, both of whom established themselves as talented players. 

But South Carolina head coach Beverly Smith's team has depended on a much improved third-year outfielder to anchor its offense. 

That player is junior Alaynie Page, and she’s tearing up opposing pitchers. Through 15 games, Page is hitting an astonishing .471 with six homeruns and 22 RBIs.

Page’s impressive start to her junior year comes after freshman and sophomore seasons in which she batted a modest .250 and .208, respectively. In those two seasons combined, Page hit a total of nine homeruns, just three more than she’s had through only 51 at-bats in 2015.

What could have led to such an impressive improvement for the Boiling Springs native? Perhaps a change in the batting order has to do with it, but Smith said Page has improved her approach at the plate, as well. 

For the first time in Page’s career, Smith has her hitting leadoff, but both Page and Smith said a change in philosophy is responsible for Page’s newfound offensive prowess.

“It’s all mental,” Page said. “Just staying aggressive at the plate and jumping on pitches I can hit.”

From her vantage point, Smith said she has also seen Page become more aggressive with the bat in hand.

“She’s staying aggressive,” Smith said. “Obviously, it’s working.”

Page’s journey to South Carolina started years ago in high school.

A highly touted prospect from Boiling Springs High School, Page originally committed to the Gamecocks when former head coach Joyce Compton was still in charge. Butwhen Compton announced her retirement, Page was unsure of whether committing to South Carolina was the right move.

Smith was then hired July 15, 2010. She wanted to get started immediately, so she began looking at perspective recruits and called Page first.

Soon after, Page knew she'd remain true to her commitment.

“It was after a game in Texas,” Page said. “She came down to watch me play and I talked to her on the phone after that game and I knew that I wanted to spend my college career with this coach.”

“It was a good phone call,” Page added.

As far as what she wants to achieve goes, Page said her priorities are centered around her own and her team’s success.

Page's goal is be the player she knows she can be, but she also wants to show that it’s time for Gamecock softball to compete on a national level. If Page can continue to play the way she is now, those goals could be accomplished. 

Currently, Page is second in the SEC in home runs, third in total bases, fourth in hits and fifth in slugging percentage. 

Alaynie Page: The Person

Those close to Page know she doesn’t stand just for her accomplishments on the field — her personality off the field turns heads, as well.

The way Page handles herself has earned her the respect of her teammates and coaches.

“She’s loud,” redshirt sophomore infielder Lauren Masters said. “She’s very outgoing. We’ve gotten really close this past year, and she’s someone I can say will be a best friend forever.”

Smith described Page’s off-the-field demeanor as very similar to what people see on the field.

“She’s high energy,” Smith said. “She’s fun, she’s entertaining, and I think her personality is the same on the field and off the field.”

What’s Next?

Page, a sports and entertainment management student, hopes to one day work for ESPN.

For now, however, she’s just focused on her next game. South Carolina has five home games in the next four days, beginning with a matchup with Western Carolina Thursday.

Page began this season on a 14-game hitting streak that came to an end Sunday against Northwestern. She looks to bounce back and continue her breakout season.

“She’s worth the price of admission,” Smith said. “Come out and watch this girl play."