Gamecock softball end weekend with 5-4 win over Charleston Cougars

The Gamecocks softball team managed to grasp the win in their weekend performance against College of Charleston. 

South Carolina went into the game with a 3-1 overall home record, adding a fourth victory and a weekend sweep on Saturday with a 5-4 win over College of Charleston. 

The Gamecocks (8-2) began their come-from-behind victory in the first inning, when junior left fielder Alaynie Page connected with an inside-the-park home run. With her sixth home run of the year, Page is now tied for ninth in Gamecock history in career home runs with 15. 

Sophmore right fielder Victoria Williams and freshman shortstop Krystan White aided Page and the Gamecocks with a pair of doubles coming in the third and the forth innings. Williams collected her second double of the game in the beginning of the fifth inning. White went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI. 

With one down in the fifth, the Gamecocks took the lead with an RBI single by redshirt sophomore second baseman Lauren Masters. The Gamecocks then held the lead for the rest of the game. 

The Cougars jumped out to an early lead, scoring all of their runs in the first inning. However, the lead was taken from them due to costly errors that could not be ignored. Senior pitcher Hope Klicker took the loss, allowing five runs, four earned, on eight hits and three walks.

After first inning troubles, Gamecocks redshirt senior pitcher Julie Sarratt was able to regain her composure and come back to pitch a complete game. She allowed only one hit and one walk in the remaining six innings of the game to take home the win and improve to 3-2 on the season.  Sarratt struck out four.

Head coach Beverly Smith is at the helm for the Gamecocks in her fourth season. In 2014, for the second consecutive season, Smith led the Gamecocks to the NCAA tournament, going 36-22 for the year and placing eighth in the Southeastern Conference. Smith has an overall record of 119-109 and is the second Gamecock softball head coach with over 100 wins.

The Gamecocks will be tested again on Thursday at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Cathedral City, California against LIU Brooklyn.