Hoke looks to restore South Carolina defense

South Carolina’s defense was dismal in 2014, ranking in the bottom half of the league in just about every defensive category.

This offseason, head coach Steve Spurrier made a point to improve the defense, focusing much of his recruiting efforts on that side of the ball and hiring Jon Hoke as co-defensive coordinator with Lorenzo Ward.

Hoke, brother of former Michigan head coach Brady Hoke,  coached the defense during Spurrier’s final years at Florida before bolting for the NFL in 2002. Hoke most recently worked as the defensive backs coach for the Chicago Bears.

He's is known for his highly complex zone blitz scheme that has baffled opposing offenses in the past. It isn't clear exactly which duties each defensive coordinator will take charge of, but the Gamecock defense will look to develop a new edge under Hoke.

Defensive Line

Last season was a train wreck for a once formidable defensive line. The defense had only 14 sacks, just seven by the defensive line and as a result, the Gamecocks focused much of their recruiting on the defensive line.

Seven of South Carolina’s 30 recruits in the 2015 recruiting class were defensive linemen, headlined by the No. 3 junior college prospect in the nation, Marquavius Lewis.

Lewis recorded 11 sacks and 63 tackles in his 12 games at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas last season. He said he hopes to bring an edge rush that the Gamecocks lacked last season. He also enrolled early along with defensive end Dexter Wideman and will benefit from reps in spring practice.

Lewis is listed first on the depth chart at defensive end alongside junior Gerald Dixon. Dixon led the defensive line last season with 42 tackles and two sacks. He and his half-brother Gerald Dixon Jr. are the two returning starters on the line for the Gamecocks.

Linebackers

At this point, it’s unclear if Hoke will continue South Carolina’s 4-2-5 system or scrap the Spur position in favor of a more traditional 4-3 lineup. Either way, the Gamecock defense will key off the dynamic duo of Skai Moore and Jonathan Walton.

Moore, a junior from Cooper City, Florida, led the team in tackles his first two seasons. A ball-hawking coverage linebacker, Moore also leads all active Gamecocks with seven career interceptions.

Walton came on strong toward the end of last season. The junior will start on the weak-side this season and will cover ground with tremendous speed for a 241-pounder.

Both linebackers will figure heavily into the passing defense and fill gaps in the run game.

According to the initial spring depth chart, junior Jordan Diggs is slotted to start in the Spur position, which functions like an in-box safety. If Hoke brings back his old zone blitz system, Diggs may be asked to bulk up to around 230 pounds and switch to a traditional 4-3 strong-side linebacker.

Secondary

Senior strong safety T.J. Gurley played well last season, especially toward the end of the season, finishing second on the team with 80 tackles. He will lead a talented group of young players that has much to prove.

The secondary may be the group with the most to prove on the entire team. The young group was exposed last season, but many believe that was more a result of a struggling pass-rush than a lack of talent in the back.

Among those with the most to prove is sophomore D.J. Smith. Smith split time at multiple positions last season but showed promise. In his lone start at free safety, where he is listed as the starter this spring, Smith played extremely well against Vanderbilt before a targeting call took him out of the game.

Smith is a raw, hard-hitting safety with tremendous upside. He could be a key to the defense this season if he stays at free safety and learns the intricacies of the position.