New Turkish and Mediterranean style restaurant, Green Olive, opened by former USC students

Green Olive is a new Turkish restaurant owned by former USC Columbia student Erdem Kantemur and his wife, Cindy Lama. Located next to Which Wich on Main Street, Green Olive opened to the public on Thursday, March 19. No stranger to the college crowd, Kantemur expected opening day to be busy, and it did not disappoint. According to the couple, business has been booming.

The couple both attended USC and majored in hospitality with the dream of opening a restaurant.

“I’ve been in Columbia since 2004," Kantemur said. "At USC, I majored in retail management and minored in hospitality. My wife went to school in 2001 and graduated with a degree in management too.”

Lama spoke fondly of her USC education. She thoroughly enjoyed her teachers, classes and hands-on internships. She believes USC prepared her immensely for real-world experiences and fulfilling her dream.

The couple is also very aware of the intentional aura they provide for their customers. They adorned their dining room with authentic decorations straight from Turkey, so foodies can have the complete Turkish experience. Lama said that the menu is 40 percent Turkish and 60 percent Mediterranean-inspired with a dash of Arabic influence here and there. She believes the restaurant stands out because they serve Turkish dishes that are accessible and affordable for college students, like Green Olive's Turkish coffee, which is normally a rarity.

"We have a lot of variety in prices," Lama said. "The lunch prices are very affordable."

With a popular menu of Mediterranean treats, it’s no wonder that Green Olive is the talk of the town. Kantemur hand-chose the menu, making sure to stay true to his roots. Gyros, hummus, shawarma, skewers, chicken and shrimp are just several of the delights that frame the menu. If you’re looking for a simple and delicious Eastern meal, Green Olive is the new go-to.

“Opening day was hectic, and now lunchtime is very busy for us,” Kantemur said.

Throughout the interview, I was chowing down on this week’s special — The Green Olive sampler, served with baba ghanoush, hummus and falafel. The tasty food, charming staff and festive environment all added up to a grand first experience.

"We aim to create premiere, casual, fine dining experience with a great atmosphere," Lama said. 

Having worked at several Mediterranean restaurants throughout college, Kantemur has always been a fan of the food business. Waiting several years for the perfect opportunity, he decided to create a legacy in Columbia.

“It’s always been a dream to open a restaurant here,” Kantemur said. “I hope for Green Olive to be here for a really, really long time.”