In Brief: March 3, 2015

Rock Hill bus driver accused of assaulting boy

A bus driver in Rock Hill is under investigation after he allegedly pushed and hit a seven year old boy, according to The State. The complaint was made directly to the police and the school administration have been in contact with the boy’s parents since the incident. 

The boy’s step-father said that his son told him the bus driver pushed him into a seat and “punched him in the chest hard enough to make him cry and then vomit,” according to the police report. The report also states that the boy was in trouble for standing on the bus and not sitting in his seat.

The bus driver is currently on leave and will remain on leave until the investigation is complete. 

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Gov. Haley on trip outside of South Carolina in undisclosed location

Gov. Nikki Haley is currently traveling outside of South Carolina, but the office is not releasing where the governor is heading, according to the Associated Press. According to her office, Haley is on a job recruiting trip. According to spokesman Rob Godfrey, Haley and the Commerce Department officials are on a economic development mission that is considered to be competitive. 

Haley left Sunday with one member of her staff and the Commerce Department officials. The group is set to return to the state on Wednesday. Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster said that he was informed Sunday night that Haley would be traveling, but he is unaware of her location as well.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

13 arrested at flea market, connection with counterfeit items

Thirteen people were arrested after law enforcement found counterfeit items at the U.S. 1 Metro Flea Market in West Columbia on Saturday, according to The State. 

The investigation was a part of an inspection conducted as a joint effort between the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department investigators, the Secretary of State’s Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Lexington County Sheriff Lewis McCarty said in the statement released Monday.

Investigators seized a total of $930,000 counterfeit items and $5,520 in cash. Counterfeit items seized included pocketbooks, Louis Vuitton face plates for pocketbooks and counterfeit copyrighted DVDs.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor