In Brief: March 31, 2015

DUI charges down, underage drinking charges up at Carolina Cup

The number of DUI charges was down, and the number of underage drinking charges rose at Carolina Cup this year, The State reported.

According to Sheriff Jim Matthews at the Kershaw County Sheriff’s Department, 14 deputies made 281 traffic stops during the Carolina Cup, however only three resulted in DUI charges. In total, they issued 111 warning tickets and 170 traffic citations.

Camden Police Chief Joe Floyd charged 257 people at Carolina Cup, most with disorderly conduct and underage drinking, with 44 people taken off the grounds to the Kershaw County Detention center. Floyd attributed the increase in underage drinking charges to the 10 additional undercover SLED officers who attended Cup.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

More than 100 animals rescued from cockfighting operation

The Marlboro County Sheriff’s Office charged 27 suspects after rescuing 100 animals from an alleged cockfighting operation, The State reported.

Carson R. Clark and Brandon Clark were charged with cockfighting after it was revealed through investigation that they were running a cockfighting operation out of their home in Wallace, South Carolina. Deputies and other law enforcement offices searched the home and located 122 roosters and 11 dogs. They also found marijuana, cocaine, firearms and several thousands of dollars in cash from entry fees.

Five of the roosters died from the injuries sustained, including stab wounds, concussions, broken legs and broken ribs; however, the North Carolina-based Carolina Waterfowl Rescue Organization was able to save 117 of the roosters and have begun rehabilitating them.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Dust from construction site causes evacuation of CiCi’s Pizza

The CiCi’s Pizza buffet on Garners Ferry Road was evacuated Monday afternoon after smoke from a nearby construction site could be seen in the restaurant, The State reported.

The Columbia firefighters responded to the smoke inside of the building. Brick Lewis, a department spokesperson, said when the firefighters arrived, there was smoke coming from inside the building and everyone had been evacuated. After investigation, it was revealed that there was no fire in the restaurant and the smoke was actually caused by dust coming from a construction project two doors down.

The dust was being carried through the building’s ventilation unit, and CiCi’s will remain closed until the building is cleared of the dust.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor