Of Montreal embodies '70s sound with new release

Of Montreal, while eccentric and odd, still garner a lot of success. A band straight out of musical mecca Athens, Georgia, Of Montreal put out their 13th studio album, “Aureate Gloom” March 3.

While their last album “Lousy With Sylvianbriar” was well received among critics, the fate of “Aureate Gloom” might not be the same. Characterized as indie-pop, Of Montreal definitely produces a fusion of sounds that rely heavily on funk, progressive rock (prog) and more recently indie rock. “Aureate Gloom” continues on the path that its predecessor paved — one of a more '70s rock-influenced sound.

“Aureate Gloom” has stronger percussion, less bass and thoroughly more guitar than some of their past releases. Front man Kevin Barnes is as flamboyant and provocative as before. Most songs deal with dissonance in self-aware musings of life as well as over-embellished break-up tunes.

“Monolithic Egress” is a notable track because of its great guitar riffs and slow, honeyed bridge section. It’s very Of Montreal-esque — switching and creating new rhythms every five bars or so. “Apollyon Of Blue Room” is one of those tracks that depicts the new direction of their sound — hints of influences like The Rolling Stones or Talking Heads can be heard.

One of the other outstanding tracks is “Estocadas,” which is raw and relaxing at the same time. The heavy guitar pairs well with Barnes vocal layering — it’s also slow, but not too slow. “Last Rites at the Jane Hotel” is also an unconventional break-up song that’s well worth listening to.

Of Montreal just might be the new Talking Heads. Taking new strides with their sound, they still haven’t made huge leaps. While “Aureate Gloom” was more experimental than their past records, there’s still room for more.