“Piece by Piece” a possible reboot to Kelly Clarkson's career

Kelly Clarkson captivated the hearts of teenage girls with her first six albums, and she's back at it again.

After winning American Idol more than 10 years ago, Clarkson spent the last decade fading in and out of radio stations and Billboard charts, but now her seventh studio album, "Piece by Piece," has her back on the radar.

Clarkson’s popularity comes from how she sells her message with her empowering vocals and “girl power” lyrics. Her latest album, “Piece by Piece,” stays true to her usual upbeat sound and the same heartfelt pop, but also mixes in fresh elements we’ve never heard from her before.

Even though the girls who voted for her on American Idol are now in their 20s and 30s, Clarkson still targets the teenage slumber party crowd. The album’s standout track is “Heartbeat Song,” an uplifting pop tune that will make you feel young again — it now holds a spot in the top 20 most downloaded songs on iTunes and in the top 50 on Billboard’s Hot 100 Chart. Its catchy tunes are enriching, which makes it hard to get the lyrics out of your head.

Another hit, “Piece by Piece,” tunes in on Clarkson’s more serious side and will bring back memories of listening to “Because of You” in elementary school. The song contrasts Clarkson’s father unfavorably against her new husband — Clarkson’s lyric, “He restored my faith that a man could be kind and a father could stay,” connects listeners to the softer side of her empowering music.

Clarkson  shows strong vocals in one of her many girl power anthems, “Invincible.” Even with Sia's help, the lyrics are corny, but the song is catchy enough that it may prove a hit with younger listeners. If you’re looking for a good song to cry to, you can find “Tightrope” and “Run Run Run,” featuring John Legend. In the cover of Tokio Hotel’s song, Legend and Clarkson’s voices sing softly and powerfully together to attract R&B and pop fans.

“Bad Reputation” will remind you of how Clarkson won American Idol with her soulful, powerful voice. Also, Clarkson vocally masters the song “Someone,” and it can be compared to her earlier hit “Already Gone.” The pop sensation changes her sound in the songs “Take You High,” “War Paint” and “Good Goes the Bye” by using techno beats in the background. These songs are definitely not as strong as some of the other tracks on the album and don’t truly encompass Clarkson’s voice. Also, some lyrics on her album like “Now I am a warrior, a shooting star” can cause listeners to overlook her talent.

Clarkson’s lyrics, although sometimes clichéd, might still do well among the younger listeners. Perfectly timed for the cars full of girls headed on road trips for spring break, “Piece by Piece” makes for an ideal playlist.