Rapid reactions: South Carolina 2 Miami (OH) 0

No. 8 South Carolina relied on pitching to take the first game of its weekend series against the Miami (OH) Redhawks 2-0 Friday night at Carolina Stadium.

Crowe’s Dominance

Sophomore right-hander Wil Crowe returned to form, pitching seven scoreless innings and allowing just five hits. Crowe did walk three batters — one less than his season total coming into the game.

Crowe struck out eight on just 111 pitches. Once again, he pitched deep into the game, something he’s done often this season. Junior Vince Fiori pitched 1.2 perfect innings before sophomore Taylor Widener struck out the final batter for his fourth save of the season.

Crowe improved to 2-1 on the season and lowered his ERA to 3.47.

Struggles at the Top

The one through five hitters for the Gamecocks went a combined 0-15 against the Miami pitchers. Still, the top four hitters in the lineup all have batting averages above .325 on the season.

South Carolina’s two runs is its lowest run total of the season.

Big Day for Koch

Sophomore catcher Logan Koch played well for the Gamecocks today, calling the right pitches behind the plate while having two of the Gamecocks’ four hits. Koch also hit his career first home run — a two run blast in the second inning that put the team ahead early.

The North Carolinian has played well lately, but is still splitting time behind the plate with freshman Hunter Taylor.

Up Next

Junior lefty Jack Wynkoop gets the start tomorrow for the Gamecocks for the second of three games against the Redhawks. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.