Softball suffers weekend sweep

South Carolina fell to Texas A&M in all three series games after traveling for their first SEC road weekend series of the season.

Texas A&M with the home field advantage pulled off a sweep final scores of 3-2, 4-3, and 5-2.

This series loss gives South Carolina the conference record of 2-7.

Coming off the away win against Winthrop 3-2, South Carolina (21-12) was eager to begin conference games again after winning the Tennessee series 2-1 the previous weekend.

Game One:

What looked like the beginning of a Gamecock victory turned into a loss because of an 10th inning error.

Junior outfielder Alaynie Page fired it over the left side of the fence to give South Carolina the lead of 1-0 in the first inning.

The Aggies were not far behind in the second inning when junior infielder Breanna Dozier tied things up 1-1 with a home run.

The Gamecocks took the lead again in the fifth inning but were quickly matched by a Texas A&M homerun in the sixth inning by freshman infielder Tori Vidales.

The victory was stolen from South Carolina, however, by a mishandling on the play in the final inning.

The Aggies hit a groundball to first base when the Gamecocks fumbled the ball allowing junior outfielder Cali Lanphear to score.

Game Two:

Saturday’s game was postponed until Sunday due to inclement weather.

In first inning the Gamecocks scored two of their three runs with help of senior centerfielder Kristen Struett’s double and sophomore outfielder Victoria William’s two-out single.

Redshirt sophomore second baseman Lauren Masters lead off the fourth inning with a homer giving the Gamecocks their final run of the game.

The game was over as Dozier hit a walk off homerun over the right field fence bringing the final score to 4-3.

Game Three:

Texas A&M started off hot with a two-run homer by Vidales in the first inning. The three other runs came in the third frame from freshman catcher Ashley Walter’s double and sophomore infielder April Ryan’s single.

South Carolina’s runs came from senior catcher Sarah Mooney’s double that scored Page.

Texas A&M completed the sweep with a 5-2 win.

Pitching:

Redshirt senior Julie Sarratt finished the series taking all three losses. At the end of the weekend, Sarratt’s ERA stood at 3.85.

Aggie senior Rachel Fox pitched the first game, allowing only two runs. Fox started Sunday's first doubleheader game, but sophomore Abby Donnell relieved her in the fifth inning, picking up her second win of the year. Sunday’s second game was pitched by former Gamecock sophomore Katie Marks, who allowed just two earned runs.

Next up for the Gamecocks are Wednesday and Thursday games against Furman and North Florida, respectively. South Carolina will host both teams in the Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field.