Track and field take 7 events in outdoor opener

The track and field outdoor season kicked off for the South Carolina Gamecocks last week at the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

The invitational hosted by Coastal Carolina began with the men’s hammer throw and the men’s 10,000 meter run. Sophomore Clarence Gallop claimed third for the Gamecocks in the hammer throw, with his fourth attempt flying at 60.1 meters.

The Gamecocks opened up the outdoor season strong with seven event wins, including two facility records in the 400 and 100 meter hurdles. Sophomore Jussi Kanervo set the new record in the men’s 400-meter hurdles, coming in first with a time of 50.89 seconds. Junior Chalese Davis also claimed a new record in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.59 seconds.

In the sprints and relays portion, senior Eric Winfrey edged fellow senior Chris Royster by .06 of a second to win the 200 meter dash in a picture perfect one-two finish. The two Gamecocks would later team up with freshman Greg Chiles and senior Chris Walker to win the 4x100 relay. Kanervo would later come together with senior Clayton Gravesande, and juniors Dondre Echols and Jermaine Collier to win the men’s 4x400 relay.

Senior Jeanelle Scheper of the Gamecocks made her season debut count as she matched her program record in the high jump competition. After redshirting the 2014 outdoor season and without indoor eligibility, Scheper started her long-awaited debut out strong. She cleared 1.91 meters (6 feet 3 inches) in the final of the event, claiming first place and beating the facility record by 6 inches.

The Gamecocks will have a quick turnaround — they have two days to prepare for the Texas Relays beginning Wednesday in Austin, Texas.