Guest Column: Women at USC have progressed rapidly

I fear to know how many of you are blatantly unaware that March is indeed Women’s History Month, but fear not because every pair of eyes that graces this column is now in the know. 

I could sit here and list off the accomplishments of women throughout history, but I’m afraid we would run out of paper on which to print them. What I will do in this column is commend the women of USC on their efforts to educate and advocate for each other.

The university has come a long way since enrolling its first female students 121 years ago. They weren’t given designated dormitories or even restrooms. They were described as a “monstrous regiment of women." Fun fact: Frances Guignard Gibbes (yes, that Gibbes) was the first woman enrolled at the university. Back then, women at the university were rebels in their own right.

Today, they have countless restrooms of their own and our two newest residence halls are designated for women. Women make up 54 percent of our student body. Women at USC conduct research, teach courses, head departments, oversee facilities and so much more.

First off, the Leadership and Service Center has done an amazing job of putting together a month chock-full of events. From TED talks, to small lectures, to meetings and an award for Outstanding Woman of the Year, there’s no excuse for someone to move into April unenlightened. (Also, most of these happenings are free.)

For whatever reason, people still complain that celebrations like Women’s History Month, Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month have no place on the calendar. I beg to differ. When black and Hispanic women are the heroes in our history textbooks, then we can talk about laying off celebration. 

I have said it and I will say it again: I love my women, women, women.

Albeit unconventional, The Daily Gamecock’s criticisms concerning the lack of women in leadership at USC is something to be thankful for. By recognizing the lack of women in our most prominent leadership positions on campus and giving us a call to action, The Daily Gamecock has incited many a response (both good and bad).

The Daily Gamecock has also made it a point to recognize the women who are leading some of the hundreds of student organizations here, and if anything, this serves as motivation for future women in leadership. In my opinion, any press is good press when it comes to women’s issues.

Shameless plug: if you haven’t already heard of the CHICKS conference, you have now. I would be remiss not to mention something that benefits and empowers the women in this community. The first annual CHICKS conference will be hosted on April 25 and seeks to help women kick start their careers with important lessons in leadership, empowerment and professionalism.

While conferences like this are only the start, I see this is a catalyst for leadership and growth for the women of Carolina. I hope to see more events such as this one so we can continue to sow the seeds for a better world with women at the wheel.

Now I would be remiss not to thank Beyoncé, for without her music, I would be lost.