Dfalt's "Blackbook EP" sets electronic, mellow tone for upcoming LP "Defalt"

B

Sometimes, it's the behind-the-scenes worker that makes for the best star. Jason Drake has worked as a producer, songwriter and manager for several labels and musicians, but the Los Angeles-based artist also creates his own music under the moniker Dfalt.

His 2011 debut EP put his name on the map, but Dfalt has started using new mixing techniques to produce the five-track “Blackbook EP,” and will be releasing a full LP, titled “Dfalt,” this June.

"Blackbook EP" starts off with “Total Recall,” a smooth introduction for what will prove to be a mellow, electronic track list. It eases the listener into Dfalt’s somewhat discombobulated sound, full of raw noise.

“Eighties Hacker,” the EP’s next track, is appropriately named because it makes the listener feel as if they’re traveling in slow motion through the Matrix. It’s extremely synthesizer-heavy, like much of the album, but it's nearly expertly done — the electronics slowly build on each other, creating a smooth groove for the ears.

“Blackbook EP” is a great choice for background music during a hangout session, and listeners may find themselves strangely relaxed after tracks like “Freshkicks,” a hip-hop/techno mash-up.

The title creativity continues with “Scotch Tape Drum Machine,” which quite literally uses adhesive tape noises as percussion. Although the syncopation makes for an almost uncomfortable rhythm, it's a good segue between electronics and drums.

Though there are few lyrics in the EP — and even the few you can hear are unintelligible — there is a mysterious quality to the music that just might be the reason it’s hard to stop listening to. The strategically placed words are more than enough to put the cherry on top of an already catchy tune.

The only downfall of this preview-like EP is the last track, “Radiotechnics.” Unfortunately, it fails to bring closure to the otherwise cohesive “Blackbook EP.” Its attempt at hip-hop combined with eerie techno gives off a creepy vibe that doesn’t quite click.

Aside from the last track, this album proves the under-the-radar artist worthy of a listen. His unique sound is creative and almost haunting — in the best way — and you may even find yourself wishing there was more. It’s definitely a memorable track list that will get you excited for the upcoming LP.