In Brief: April 20

Scootaway brings moped ride-sharing to Columbia

Scootaway, an on-demand moped ride-sharing company founded by a former USC student, announced Sunday that Columbia will be home to the first of 20 locations that the company plans on opening, beginning May 7, according to a press release.

One of the major reasons Columbia was chosen for the initial location was the city's "commitment to alleviate traffic and parking congestion caused by traditional modes of commuter transportation made it the perfect choice," according to the release.

The going rate for renting a moped through Scootaway is $2.99 for half an hour, which can be paid through a phone app where the user can also unlock and start a scooter and get access to a helmet. 

Lilly Pulitzer release frenzy pushes Target to the limits

Target experienced a stress-test like no other on Sunday, with the launching of its new Lilly Pulitzer line, which sold-out both online and retail in a mere matter of minutes, in some cases according to The State. 

For most of the morning, Target's online store had a steady flow of traffic following some technical difficulties earlier in the day, and by noon, everything was "virtually sold out," according to Target spokesman Joshua Thomas.

Despite online complaints regarding the companies issues with the online store, generally speaking, the event was considered typical for Target, where launches are often done with "tight supply," and "done purposefully to stoke demand and Internet chatter."

Hundreds feared dead after boat capsizes off Italian Coast

Hundreds of migrants are assumed to be lost after an overcrowded fishing vessel capsized while crossing the Mediterranean Sea, according to USA Today. 

By Sunday night, only 28 survivors had been rescued, and an additional 24 bodies recovered, according to Italian authorities. Despite claims by some survivors that there were over 700 people on board, Italian authorities are "not in a position to confirm" the validity of the large number.

This latest accident is the most recent in a pattern of mass migration that Europe is experiencing from across the Mediterranean. Mainly due to war and persecution, many are choosing to make the dangerous journey across the sea and risk drowning.

Last week, 400 were presumed to have drowned following another boat capsizing, which would bring the 2015 migrant death total to over 900, according to the United Nations.