In Brief: April 23, 2015

South Carolina DMV changes policy after transgender teen wins lawsuit

No matter their gender, all applicants for driver's licenses in South Carolina can now wear makeup in their license photos following a lawsuit by a transgender South Carolinian teen, The State reported.

Chase Culpepper, 17, was told by the Department of Motor Vehicles that she had to remove her makeup to take her driver's license photo. The transgender teen said it was hurtful to be singled out and sued the state DMV. After winning the lawsuit, Culpepper will be allowed to retake her license photo with makeup on as part of the settlement.

The DMV will issue a written apology to Culpepper, and employees will be informed of the policy changes.

— Kirby Knowlton, Features Editor

Family lost in Congaree National Park rescued by first responders

A family was rescued by first responders after they reported themselves to be lost while canoeing in the Conagree National Park on Tuesday night, The State reported.

The family was able to make the call to 911 when they initially got lost. Sixteen first responders were at the scene, conducting a search via kayaks and on foot throughout the park. The search on water became difficult due to unpredictable currents and large debris caused by heavy flooding. Eventually, the rescuers were able to locate the family at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday. There were no injuries reported.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Larceny charges dropped against USC football signee

Shameik Blackshear, a South Carolina football signee, will not be prosecuted for a petit larceny charge, The State reported.

Blackshear was charged Feb. 13 after allegedly taking a purse and safe from a home in Bluffton. Ben Shelton, the town attorney of Bluffton, told municipal Judge Clifford Bush that the victim of the crime requested that the larceny charge be dropped. Head coach Steve Spurrier said he believed the 4-star defense end to be purely innocent as far as he knew. 

Blackshear is scheduled to enroll at USC in June with other recruits.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor