IN BRIEF: Scholarship endowed in honor of Welch, Staley named U19 head coach

South Carolina announced on Wednesday that long-time supporters Morris and Sheila Creggers are endowing a women’s basketball scholarship in the name graduating senior Aleighsa Welch. 

The couple is also making monetary contributions towards the women’s basketball program and facility enhancements.

“I am grateful to the Creggers and the university to be recognized in this way,” Welch said. “Four years ago, I never imagined that I would cap off my career at the University of South Carolina in this way, but it feels fitting to say that my college career has been the gift that keeps on giving.”

Welch finished her career as South Carolina’s all-time leader in offensive rebounds and recently became the first to be drafted in the WNBA Draft since 2003 when she was selected 22nd overall by the Chicago Sky. 

Staley named USA U19 head coach

USA Basketball announced on Wednesday that South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley will serve as the 2015 USA Basketball Women’s U19 World Championship Team head coach. 

Staley led the USA U18 National Team to a gold medal in the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in 2014. 

”I’m always excited about playing a role with USA Basketball, because I just feel like it’s a basketball utopia,” Staley said. “Now I get an opportunity to work with younger players who have aspirations of becoming Olympians."