Gamecocks swing toward rival play against Coastal Carolina

The Gamecocks travel to Conway, South Carolina to compete against in-state rival, the Chanticleers from Coastal Carolina.

After a postponed game on Friday, South Carolina won the first game of their double-header against Arkansas 8-0, followed up by a loss later that day 5-4 in extra innings. The Gamecocks were able to take the series with an 8-3 win yesterday, moving their record to 29-16.

Head coach Beverly Smith was very pleased with her team’s efforts from their series win against the Razorbacks.

“All wins are important in the SEC, so I’m happy that we were able to get these. Our goal is to be playing our best ball at the end of the season,” Smith said. “We’ve got some great games in front of us, so I hope our team will take confidence rolling into our road games next week.”

The Gamecocks were able to get big production from their top three hitters, junior outfielder Alaynie Page, senior outfielder Kristen Struett and sophomore infielder Victoria Williams, as they combined to go 8-11 with five runs scored. Senior Julie Sarratt was credited with the victory, moving her record to 15-8 on the season.

Coastal Carolina has a similar record to South Carolina at 26-17, but they’re currently on an eight-game win streak with victories over Gardner-Webb, UNC Wilmington and Radford.

After their game Tuesday night against the Chanticleers, South Carolina then travels to Lexington, Kentucky to take on the Kentucky Wildcats in a three game weekend series.

South Carolina continues to remain at the bottom of the SEC, sitting just ahead of Arkansas in second-to-last place with a 4-11 conference record. With remaining games against Kentucky, Georgia Southern, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, the Gamecocks are going to have to put together some wins in order to get a better seed for the upcoming SEC Tournament.