Rapid Reaction: South Carolina 4, Tennessee 0

Heading into Friday’s matchup with the Tennessee Volunteers, South Carolina (26-17) had not won an SEC series opener in over a month. In his first time as a game one starter since late March, junior Jack Wynkoop broke that streak with a 4-0 shutout. 

Wynkoop Continues His Domination

Two weeks ago, No. 5 Florida hit Wynkoop for eight earned runs in 5.2 innings. In the two games since, Wynkoop is 2-0 with 17.1 innings pitched, two earned runs and 17 strikeouts.

When sophomore Wil Crowe went down with a torn UCL, Wynkoop was forced to step up as “the guy”. It looks like the lefty has become the pitcher many experts originally thought he would be.

The 8.1 inning shutout dropped Wynkoop’s ERA to 2.71. When Auburn comes to Columbia next weekend, Wynkoop will be manning the mound on Friday.

Schrock and Caldwell Find Redemption

In Tuesday’s loss to Furman, the Gamecocks’ top three hitters, junior Max Schrock, and seniors Elliott Caldwell and Kyle Martin all struck out with the game-tying run on second base.

Schrock and Caldwell combined to go 4-7 at the plate with two RBIs and a walk. While Martin continues to struggle — going 0-4 Friday — the Gamecocks are a better team when their best hitters are playing well.

Up Next

First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Saturday. Junior lefthander Vince Fiori will take the mound against Tennessee senior Bret Marks.