Classic play incorporates comical antics

When “The Three Musketeers” begins, audiences will be immediately blown away by the tremendous amount of costuming, lighting and construction detail that went into the production of this play. Showing from April 17 to 25 in Drayton Hall Theatre, this show is one for the books. 

Most people have heard of the story of the Three Musketeers, but this adaptation isn’t so straightforward — this is Ken Ludwig’s 2006 humorous, action-packed adaptation of the play, and it even includes the introduction of a few extra characters. 

For those who don’t know the tale, “The Three Musketeers” goes like this: a country boy named d’Artagnon ventures from his small hometown to Paris, France, in hopes of becoming a musketeer. Ludwig’s twist on the story has Sabine, d’Artagnon’s young sister, played by Nicole Dietze, tagging along with him, adding another dimension to the story. 

“I love the modern — which is a more honest — take on the classic story,” Dietze wrote in an email, “since the women are as dangerous and fearless as the men.”

The two encounter a variety of friends and foes along the way, all in an attempt to defend King Louis and Queen Anne. Their silly comic-book-style antics should make the audience laugh out loud as they root for the defeat of the evil Cardinal Richelieu.

The set is extremely mobile and modular, which helps make the play more dynamic. The lights, sounds and movement do a lot of work to make the play an experience.

The play’s soundtrack is fun and modern, featuring songs like “Another One Bites the Dust,” “I Get Knocked Down,” “We Will Rock You” and “Vogue." There are also modern references galore, which should help the play connect with audiences

“It feels like a rock concert,” Dietze wrote. “With the dynamism of the lights and sound, it’s useful to channel energy from a powerhouse like Joan Jett or Pink.”

One of the funniest characters is the flamboyant King Louis, whose sparkly leggings and platform shoes connect the excess of 17th century France to today’s culture.

The honorable but clumsy d'Artagnon, played by USC alumnus William Vaughan, is the heart of the show. Vaughan relished playing the young swashbuckler, despite how physically demanding it was to sword fight and climb his way through the production.

“It’s always fun getting to play a coming of age character and follow him on his complete journey,” Vaughan wrote in an email. “I mean every night I get to play with swords, fall in love, and save the day. What could be better?”

He encourages the audience to have fun as the story progresses and to take into consideration the storytelling method and how it could change your perspective.

As a former student, Vaughan not only enjoyed being back on campus, but working with students.

“I’m still learning new things every day, but I’d say the biggest advice I have to students is that when you graduate, whatever you pursue, pursue it with your whole heart,” Vaughan wrote. “It’s easy to second guess a career path, but there are positives and negatives about every career. Focus on the positive. If a door of opportunity opens, don’t stand there and think about walking through the door, sprint towards it. The universe could still slam it in your face, but you’ll never know until you try.”