Chilling upcoming Fox mini-series sure to intrigue

Sheriff Arnold Pope takes offense at a Secret Service agent showing up on his turf.

M. Night Shyamalan’s latest production is just as chilling as any of his previous movies and shows. “Wayward Pines” is an upcoming Fox mini-series based on the novel “Pines” by Blake Crouch, and it stars several familiar faces, including Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard and Shannyn Sossamon.

The show starts out as Dillon’s character, FBI agent Ethan Burke, investigates the disappearances of two of his coworkers in a bizarre town in Idaho. As strange happenings begin and Burke begins to realize that escape from this town is impossible, the viewer gets hooked on the mystery.

With a vibe similar to that of “The Village,” the creepy story unfolds quickly — the first episode is so thrilling that it’s impossible to look away. Right off the bat, it’ll have you asking “What the hell is happening in this town?”

Matt Dillon is the perfect choice to play the typical loner protagonist who has a few secrets of his own and an aggressive but loveable demeanor. His predictability as a character gives the viewers something to hold onto as the chaos of the series develops.

However, Burke’s behavior as the lead is the only stagnant aspect of this show — everything else that you expect can be thrown out the window. This show is a mixture of countless science-fiction plotlines, but somehow the lines are blurred perfectly and the audience is inexplicably drawn in.

As soon as you think you’ve spotted the solution to the problem, the show takes a turn for something even more strange. Every kink in the story is met with further mystery, and characters can never be expected to behave the same way behind closed doors.

The real problem arises when people start turning their backs on each other, keeping secrets and making decisions without the consent of their families and friends. The town, not unlike that of “The Truman Show,” is on high alert in regards to the actions of its people, so the townsfolk have constant fear and deceit behind their eyes.

The rules of Wayward Pines are easy to follow: “Do not try to leave. Do not discuss the past. Do not discuss your life before. Always answer the phone if it rings.”

If that doesn’t give you the creeps and simultaneously intrigue you about the show, nothing will. Remember, “Work hard, be happy and enjoy your life in Wayward Pines.”