USC Dance Marathon raises $54,750.61 in one day

They call themselves Miracle Makers, the Dance Marathon members who work year-round to raise money for the Palmetto Health Children's Hospital.

They set out to make a miracle last week: raise $30,000 in one day, a Day of Miracles, as its known in the Dance Marathon community.

By the time the clock struck midnight, they had met their goal. In fact, they surpassed it. They raised a grand total of $54,750.612, almost double the initial target.

Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital, a member of the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals will use the funds for medical expenses for the 80,000 children that the hospital treats each year.

Leslie Knight, USC Dance Marathon executive director and fourth-year public relations student, said the day wouldn’t have been a success without the unique and creative fundraising ideas that her team used to help raise money for the cause.

Those participating did whatever they could to get donations — posting embarrassing photos on Facebook for donations, pledging to cut off their hair if they raised a certain amount, selling baked goods, whatever got people to the donation site.

"For the kids!” they yelled on Greene Street all day Thursday, as their friends threw pies at their faces.

And the social media push certainly didn't hurt. Knight said USCDM was "pleasantly surprised" with how many people pledged donations based on how many retweets and favorites they got on tweets about donating.

Even President Harris Pastides got in on the twitter-sphere, pledging to donate $0.25 for every retweet that he received.

For Knight, the Day of Miracles is just the beginning of what she hopes will be the most successful USC Dance Marathon yet.

This year, the Main Event on March 21, will be 14 hours, instead of the usual 24. Knight hopes to raise over $500,000 by the time dancers call it quits. It's a challenge, but it's a challenge USCDM executive board decided to take for something "so much bigger" than themselves, Knight said.

“As Miracle Makers, we are making an impact for our community and ultimately giving local children the opportunity to chase their dreams and live life to the fullest,” Knight said.

Knight admitted she was floored when she saw the total. But, when she thought about it, it made sense.

“I wasn’t completely surprised," Knight said, "because I know I work with such an amazing group of students who share my passion for USCDM and believe in what we are doing.”