Diverse events dominate the weekend

Paul McCartney headlines on the Land's End stage during the 6th annual Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, California, on Friday, August 9, 2013. The festival runs through Sunday and headliners include the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nine Inch Nails. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group/MCT)

During the summer, The Daily Gamecock only comes out once a week. So more often than not, we miss the opportunity to tell you all about some of the awesome events going on in Columbia before they happen.

This week, we decided to list a few of this weekend’s events in advance so you can have the opportunity to enjoy some or all of them. Whether you like music, theater or dancing, there is something for you do this weekend.

Paul McCartney

Paul McCartney, a former member of one of the world’s greatest bands, will be performing at the Colonial Life Arena at 8 p.m. on Thursday. The tickets aren’t cheap, but seeing a legend such as Paul McCartney may be worth sacrificing a paycheck to claim a seat at the last minute.

More information on tickets can be found at coloniallifearena.com.

Trustus "Dreamgirls"

Trustus Theatre is bringing the hit musical "Dreamgirls" to their Mainstage this weekend. Starting Friday, "Dreamgirls," the winner of over a dozen prestigious awards, tells the dramatic story of a singing group that makes it big while changing the face and sound of popular music in the 1960s.

The show will be playing until August 1. For prices and showtimes, visit https://www.trustus.org.

2015 Southeast Salsa Open

On Friday and Saturday, the Southeast Salsa Open, a regional salsa competition, will be hosted right here in Columbia. The event is two days long with a welcome party on Friday night, including workshops on Saturday at the Columbia Music Festival Association. The event will close out with the salsa competition Saturday and other engaging activities at the South Carolina State Museum.

More details can be found on Southeast Salsa Open’s Facebook page.