Week in review: Round up of what's happened in the sports world

UNC transfer chooses South Carolina

Dawn Staley and her Gamecocks got another transfer on Friday. Allisha Gray, who will have to sit out from a year of play, earned first-team All-ACC honors while rotating guard positions. Gray led the team in points (15.2) and hauled in an astounding 8.2 rebounds per game. At an even six feet, Gray is a big guard who can hold her own inside the 3-point line as well as outside of it. She shot close to 31 percent from downtown, which even though it was an 11 percent drop from her freshman year, is still not bad. When UNC lost to South Carolina in the sweet sixteen last season, Gray earned a meager 12 points and 5 rebounds.

Three divers make the cut for the 2015 USA Diving National Championships

With the 2015 USA Diving AT&T National Championships date of August 1 creeping up, rising senior Lauren Lamendola, rising sophomore Marissa Roth and rising junior Jordan Gotro have been invited to participate in the event in the 1-meter springboard, 3-meter springboard and 1-meter springboard, respectively. Lamendola, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania native, had her best 1-meter performance back in 2012 at a meet at College of Charleston with a score of 329.92. Roths best performance as a Gamecock was a 318.05 on the 3-meter. Gotro finished 36th overall in the NCAA Championships back in late March from the platform event.

NeSmith misses US Open cut

Soon-to-be senior Matt NeSmith, after qualifying for the US Open with his scorching performance at Hawks Ridge US Open qualifier tournament, missed the weekend cut at the 115th US Open Friday. Hosted at Chambers Bay in Washington, NeSmith shot a 9-over par to tie for 107th. The cut would eventually be a 2-over par. Former Gamecock All-American Mark Silvers snuck into the weekend with a solid score of +1. He ended up shooting a 73 on the final round and tied 54th place with Ernie Els, Cameron Triangle and Ian Poulter. Jordan Spieth took the $1.8 million in winnings by carding a -5.

Ray Tanner and President Pastides to take over SEC Network

Tune in on July 9 to see Athletic Director Ray Tanner and University President Harris Pastides dictate what will be on the SEC Network channel for a full 24 hours. The SEC Network Takeover is a new initiative, which allows all the SEC school to choose representatives for their day on air. Starting June 29 with Alabama’s Heisman trophy winner Mark Ingram, the network will fill the void of college sports with classic games, films, interviews and even school produced content. Some notables include ESPN analyst and women’s basketball coach Jimmy Dykes for Arkansas, men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl for Auburn, men’s basketball coach John Calipari for Kentucky, current quarterback Dak Prescott for Mississippi State, Leigh Anne Tuohy (as depicted by Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”) for Ole Miss and MLB pitcher David Price for Vanderbilt.