Mid-air collision between F-16 and Cessna leaves jet pilot hospitalized, other pilot missing

Locator map of Moncks Corner, S. Carolina where an F-16 collided with a Cessna.

An Air Force F-16 fighter jet collided mid-air with another plane at around 11:01 a.m. on Tuesday.

FAA spokesman Jim Peters released a statement saying that the jet had collided with a Cessna C150, about ten miles away from Charleston.

The collision occurred near Lewisfield Plantation, where much of the debris came to rest following the incident.

Shaw Air Force Base confirmed that the F-16 was from their base, and pictures on social media confirmed that the jet was part of the 55th Fighter Squadron, attached to the USAF's 20th Fighter Wing, which is stationed at Shaw AFB.

"Our thoughts are with the friends and family of anyone aboard the civilian aircraft," a release from the Air Force Base said. "A team of investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board will convene to determine the cause of the crash."

A helicopter dropped an EMT at the scene of the crash, where at least one person was in need of medical assistance, according to NBC news.

Officials also told NBC that the F-16 pilot managed to eject safely, but the status of whoever was in the Cessna remains undetermined.

"From what I understand from a witness, the military plane struck the other, small aircraft broadside," Berkeley County coroner and chief of the volunteer rescue squad Bill Salisbury said at a press conference.

"The pilot of the military airplane ejected safely and is en route to the hospital now," Berkeley County Public Information Officer Michael Mule said to reporters.

One witness told reporters he saw the collision occur and that it looked like a "ball of fire in the air."

The wreckage of the jet landed in a rice field in the vicinity of the plantation, and firefighters reported toxic fumes being emitted from the burning plane.

According to WCSC Charleston, emergency workers reported finding the fuselage of the Cessna in the water, and have an emergency diver already investigating while the U.S. Coast Guard also remain on scene.