Guest Column: Swaim's attack on Sanford untimely, ungrateful

MARK SANFORD. He was supposed to be hiking on the Appalachian Trail, but the South Carolina governor was in Argentina seeing his mistress. He confessed to the affair in 2009, ran for Congress in May and won. (Tom Gralish/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)

Timing is everything in this universe. If you don't pay your bills on time, there is a penalty. If you don't give your life to God on time, there is the threat of Hades. Bad timing is unneeded especially in a highly introspective action like a book. In Barton Swaim's new book "The Speechwriter" he tries to profit on Sanford's downfalls, but he whiffs and shoots an airball atrociously. Also, while he is attempting this, he unconsciously fouls Sanford on his shot for another chance in the public's opinion of him.

But wait, how is this happening? Aren't he and Sanford supposed to be on the same team? I think that's how it's supposed to be. Despite the fact that Swaim is an unacclaimed writer, he writes a well-written disparagement of his former boss. It seems as if Swaim is just trying to make his way back into the political world with this book, and that is as desperate as a begging R&B singer. His book reads like a callow lecturer at a mediocre liberal arts college. It is not horrendous. But the stop 'n' go of the book with his literary tools is a bombastically bumpy ride for readers. I would expect more out of a WSJ writer.

His book literally spat on Sanford, just as Bill Romanoski spat in the face of 49ers wide receiver J.J. Stokes, and rubbed his boss's shortcoming in the dirt after an admittedly needy staffer (Swaim) was granted a job with the state's highest elected office to start his career in public service. Swaim was so enthralled by agonizing over the correct language to use in speeches rather than happily being a part of Sanford's team and having polite memories from his administration. So, very disrespectful.

Swaim seems more charmed in his book with glorified allegiance to oratory rather than dedication to real actions and politically backed-up rhetoric. He wrote a whole book on a guy who said one of his best achievements was lowering the wait time at the DMV. That is remarkable if he was just in office one year. He was in The Governor's Mansion for eight years and, as a consequence, was already a regret to many voters.

Moreover, Sanford is seen in this book grudgingly as a UVA MBA graduate overseeing a novice staffer that is paid to carry his words to the people. Additionally, Swaim didn't realize when he wrote this book that there was a gargantuan ethics investigation into Sanford's entire governorship. So, voters already had a sense of his whereabouts. In the current crisis Sanford is still in, it seems that those around the epic scandal needed peace, not another possibly controversial book.

Fame will never be put above loyalty to those that lent us a hand. I hope we remember that. Sanford is already being treated far worse by the media and laymen than a disbarred president named Clinton who got it on in the Oval Office. The smoke is all gone in South Carolina from the contentious trip. It's time to breathe. Sanford smoked up all the pleasure and is now feeling the pain. We need to let him heal.