USC announces new provost: Joan Gabel

USC has announced the naming of Joan T.A. Gabel as the new executive vice president of academic affairs and provost, according to a press release issued on Tuesday.

Gabel comes to USC from the University of Missouri, where she was the dean of the Trulaske College of Business since 2010. Though she has been selected by the university, Gabel will not be formally accepted to her new post until August 24, pending approval from the board of trustees.

“As the University of South Carolina takes on greater statewide, national and global leadership roles, it is imperative that our new provost bring the advanced skills and vision necessary to keep our remarkable momentum moving forward,” USC President Harris Pastides said. “Joan Gabel is that person. I know the Carolina family will join me in welcoming this innovative and dynamic leader to our community.”

Gabel has arrived at USC at a most interesting time indeed, with massive changes in both structure and setting taking place around campus, compiled with the conclusion of the Carolina's Promise $1 billion fundraising campaign.

As for the roles of the university provost, the press release says that, "The provost at UofSC is charged with the oversight of the university’s graduate and undergraduate academic programs as well as curriculum development, program assessment and university accreditation. The provost also is responsible for formulating and implementing systemwide academic affairs policies relating to faculty hiring, retention, tenure, promotion and development."

As provost, it will be Gabel's responsibility to oversee 16 schools and colleges on USC's Columbia campus, while also supervising the university libraries and Palmetto College, the USC online campus.

During her time at Missouri, Gabel helped to develop the plan for a new business building that focused on experiential learning, which highlighted to her the need for higher education to remain dynamic and flexible.

“All of higher education, and especially public higher education, is undergoing rapid change,” Gabel said. “It’s a very competitive landscape and there are many challenges. But there are also opportunities that we can take advantage of to ensure that students receive the best education possible and faculty can continue to expand their research impact."

According to the press release, Gabel has also said that based on her meetings with Pastides and other USC leaders, she believes the school is "well-positioned to build on its existing reputation for cutting-edge research and innovative teaching."

Gabel, who is an Atlanta native, holds a law degree from UGA, but is no stranger to South Carolina. On top of owning a home on the coast, her husband, Gary, is a Spring Valley High School graduate.

Teaching and being involved in academics hasn't always been a goal for Gabel. Prior to working in the higher education system, she practiced law up until the mid-90s.

“I sought advice from a mentor and he recommended I explore teaching and research. It turned out to be the best professional decision I've ever made. I love higher education, not only because you are surrounded by highly intelligent, passionate people, but also because it's a place where ideas become reality with have a true multiplier effect." she said. "We prepare students for success, we answer questions and we positively impact our community at home and around the world — where else can you say that?"