Weekly round up: Football, tennis and men's basketball all earn spotlights

SEC Media Days spotlight three Gamecocks

Three Gamecocks continue to rack up the preseason accolades. Redshirt senior Brandon Shell and juniors Pharoh Cooper and Elliot Fry have been recognized by the SEC Media Days — a conference for members of the media to chat about the upcoming SEC football slate — in Birmingham, Alabama, as top of their positions in the conference. Shell, a Goose Creek, South Carolina, native, earned a spot as a third-team offensive tackle after starting every game last two seasons. The versatile Pharoh Cooper made three different positions:  first-team all-purpose back and second-team for both wide receiver and return specialist. The team leader in total points last season, Elliott Fry, was named the season-team’s placekicker. At the event, South Carolina was picked to finish fourth in the SEC Eastern Division.

ITA recognizes 9 men's and women's tennis players

The Intercollegiate Tennis Association announced it All-Academic Team Thursday, and nine Gamecocks on both the mens and womens team were recognized. For the mens team, freshmen Wood Benton from Spartanburg, South Carolina, and Thomas Mayronne from Monroe, Louisiana, made their first appearance on the list, and senior Kyle Koch had his name posted for the fourth year in a row — the only Gamecock to ever be selected four times. On the womens side, sophomore Hadley Berg, juniors Caroline Daily and Brigit Folland, senior Ximena Siles Luna, and graduates Elixane Lechemia and Alex Martin all earned the All-Academic honor. Both squads earned ITA All-Acedemic Team for the 2014-2015 year by posting a cumulative GPA of 3.2 for the full season. To earn individual honors, a player must achieve a 3.5 GPA.

Men's basketball reaches out to fans with "8K in 8 Days"

South Carolina mens basketball team began their 8K in 8 Days campaign, a community outreach event to come into contact with 8,000 fans over eight days, Friday. One of the highlights of the campaign so far was Frank Martin and select members of his team putting on a camp at Richland County Sheriff Departments Character Camp on Monday. Sophomore Marcus Stroman and incoming freshman TeMarcus Blanton were some of the players to come to lead the campers through drills. The initiative will come to a close Friday, July 24.