First Day of Classes: Do's and Dont's

So you’re a freshman and you haven’t quite got a grip on the campus scene yet. Or you’re an upperclassman looking for a fresh start. Keep in mind these few simple tips to make sure your first week experience is a success!

DO plan accordingly. Whether you’re driving to campus or walking from your dorm, your journey to class may take longer than you think. Between the thousands of anxious students walking through the Horseshoe and the unpredictability of campus parking, it pays off to leave a few minutes early.

DON’T worry if you mess up. Being a couple minutes late or walking into the wrong classroom isn’t the end of the world. It’s just syllabus week, and as important as it is to be able to gauge the policies of your new classes, everybody makes mistakes and any mix-ups you may have are totally forgivable.

DO wear comfortable shoes and a light outfit. Famously hot Columbia will continue to make you sweat for the next couple of months, so don’t weigh yourself down with heavy clothing or long sleeves. Plus, the wonky state of the brick paths on campus guarantee that more than a few students will stumble on their long, hot walks to class.

DON’T expect everyone to be dressed up. This isn’t middle school anymore, so if you choose to wear a T-shirt and running shorts, you won’t be alone. The most important thing is that you’re comfortable, and whether you choose to wear a dress or your most beat up pair of sneakers is up to you.

DO say hi to old friends. Seeing familiar faces is one of the best parts of coming back to school, so if there’s someone you recognize, ask them about their summer and maybe you’ll have a new person to walk to class with or to sit with once you get there.

DON’T be embarrassed. If you trip over a brick or get lost looking for the business building (it’s on Assembly Street), shake it off or ask for directions. The hard part of classes shouldn’t be getting to them, and there is always someone willing to help.

DO introduce yourself to new people. Knowing your classmates comes in handy for when you need the notes from the day you got sick or a good partner for a group project. Not to mention you could make a new friend!

DON’T be afraid to sit in the front row. Or with friends. Or alone. You know how you learn best and it’s up to you whether you succeed sitting with your crew of supporters in the back or within ten feet of the professor. Choose wisely.

Lastly … DO get excited! It’s the start of a new year, and the possibilities are endless. Embrace new challenges, meet new people and soar to new heights.