In brief: 8/31

Braves honor fan who died falling from stands 

The American flag at Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia was flown at half-mast during a game between the Braves and the New York Yankees on Sunday one day after a man died falling from the upper deck, according to The State.

On Saturday, during game three in a four game series against the Yankees, George Murrey of Alpharetta, Georgia fell from the upper deck in the seventh inning following the introduction of Yankees player Alex Rodriguez for his at-bat.

The Braves held a moment of silence for Murrey, 60, who was a longtime Braves fan and season ticket holder, in their 6-20 loss on Sunday. 

Columbia Attorney has license suspended 

According to WLTX, Columbia attorney Todd Kincannon of the Kincannon firm has been ordered to "incapacity active status" by the South Carolina Supreme court on Sunday.

Kincannon, former executive director of the South Carolina Republican Party, received the order following his arrest in April following an incident of domestic dispute on March 26.

Following an event, Kincannon became angry with his wife and began driving recklessly, avoiding traffic lights and speed limits. Kincannon also prevented his wife from exiting the car.

Attorney Peyre Thomas Lumpkin has taken leadership responsibilities and casework at Kincannon's law firm.  

Dutch Fork Historical Society vies to save historic house 

The State reports that a group is attempting to raise money to save an over 200-year-old house in the Dutch Fork area from being demolished.

The recently formed Dutch Fork Historical Society is setting a goal of $80,000 to save the Coogler-Meetze house. It currently sits on a plot that is slated to become a retirement community. The group hopes that the house could be used as a museum for local history and heritage.

One problem the group is facing is that the house was moved from its original location 33 years ago and is not part of the plans for the retirement and wellness center. If the funds are not raised, the house could be demolished sometime after Sept. 9.